Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 F-350 7.3: I thought the batteries were dead, but they are fully charged. I've got NOTHING. No guages, no horn, can't jump the solenoid. I replaced the start switch just over a year ago. Where to begin?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Check your fuses and fusible links. On the 97s the fusible links were tied to the hot side of the starter solenoid. They look a bit like wires.

Cj

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have power at the hot side of the starter solenoid, but still nothing powers up inside, nor will the engine turn if I jump the starter solenoid. Have not dug into fuses yet. Is there a fuse or relay that would cause this problem?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm....Surprised no one had an idea. I guess I'm getting it towed to a shop. I have checked every fuse in each block. It's honestly as if there's not even a battery in the truck.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
TMS,

Sorry... busy evening. If your coil is like the one in my 97 the big terminals are the relay (the switch) and the small terminals are the coil (actuator). You should be able to bridge the big terminals to see if the starter will kick over. This just sends power to to starter solenoid coil and it is reasonably low current. On the 97 there is one big red wire that comes from the battery into the relay (on the big terminal) and then there are 4 or 5 smaller wires that go out from that same terminal. Where the wire leaves the terminal is where my fusible links are. One of these links supplies power to the key switch which provides power to the fuse box.

Edit: the fusible links are covered with shrink tube.

Cj

·
Administrator
369 Posts
If jumping both large terminals on the fender relay does nothing, I would take a very good look at battery connections, and the connections on the other side of the cables. Especially the ground wires.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries. I appreciate the advice. Are you talking about the starter solenoid on the inner fender? I've tried jumping that, but no luck. There are two solenoids on top of the intake near the fuel bowl, but I do not know what those do. Seems like something farther back in the supply thought, since nothing powers up in the truck at all

·
Administrator
369 Posts
The two on top of the engine are the glow plug relay, and the intake air heater relay.
The one on the passenger fender is the starter relay. The starter solenoid is on the starter itself

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The two on top of the engine are the glow plug relay, and the intake air heater relay.
The one on the passenger fender is the starter relay. The starter solenoid is on the starter itself
Thank you. I should have remembered that. I had to replace the glow plug relay on a 97 I used to have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
369 Posts
Mehhh. Dont sweat it.
If we all remembered everything, there would be no need for the interwebs..
Or wives to remind us of what we forgot to do. 🤪

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 F-350 7.3: I thought the batteries were dead, but they are fully charged. I've got NOTHING. No guages, no horn, can't jump the solenoid. I replaced the start switch just over a year ago. Where to begin?
I had the same problem, mine sat for four years, cause no one could figure out,..... Accidentally discovered it was the fuse block next to the steering column. Apparently on these trucks water gets in around the windshield and ends up behind the fuse block. I replaced it, and bam..... Fired right up. .... Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts