Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, PSN. I just replaced the water pump on my 2001 Ford F-250. During the install, I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor with an aftermarket from Advanced Auto Parts. Regardless, after putting humpty dumpty back together again, I cranked her up to make sure I had no leaks and she fired right up and everything looked good. However, after several minutes of warming up my temperature gauge wasn't moving and immediately, I knew I made a mistake with the aftermarket sensor. I shut her off to tighten down the battery connectors and take her for a spin to see if the temperature gauge would move at all. However, when I went to restart, it didn't even try to turn over. Everything looked and sounded the same when I turned the key over and waited for the light to go off, and when I turned it completely over, I heard an audible pop that seemed to come from the solenoid relay. Not sure, though. Any ideas what it could be and how best to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay...so quick update, here. After reading website after website and watching one youtube video after another, I have tested and identified that the starter solenoid is operational. Therefore, I'm left with either the starter, ignition switch or a gremlin somewhere. Additionally, I was alarmed to find out that the engine could be hydrolocked, but I'm not sure how that would happen if all I did was change the water pump. Also, I did use a breaker bar and socket to see if the crankshaft pulley would turn and it did turn, but it was not easy. Not sure if that's good or bad. Does anyone know how difficult it should be to turn the crankshaft pulley?

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's odd I never blown a starter solenoid before. I don't know what might have caused that to happen. The crank pulley? Well remember it's a diesel it should be pretty hard to turn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another update...just bench tested the starter and it fired right up. However, I'm not getting too excited because I've read that it's common for a starter to pass a bench test because it's not under a load. I have a new starter going in tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Tom Horn, I've read that the starter solenoid inside the engine compartment located on the passenger's side fender well can go bad sometimes. Ford quit installing those solenoids after the '01s.

·
7,971 Posts
starter RELAY. the solenoid is in the starter.
you may well just have low batteries.
my 02 drove me nuts for a few days. would start, then 10 minutes after shutting it off no start.
i had the starter out three times before load testing the batteries. and found out i had a bad battery. :doh:
to test the starter relay, jump from the positive battery terminal to the small push on terminal on the relay. with truck on neutral and parking brake set for manual trans, or in park on auto trans. if the starter turns, the relay is good.

another thing to test is if the shifter is in park. i have seen many many trucks that looked like a bad starter or relay, only to push up on shifter or pull it down to neutral and have it start because the neutral safety switch was slightly out of adjustment.

·
7,971 Posts
fords have had starter relays on the fender and solenoids on the starter since the 80's.
the 02 does not have a relay, the battery cable goes directly to the solenoid on the starter.

i was saying since you have an 01, try jumping the relay to see if the problem is in the relay, the starter, the batteries, or the connections.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
fords have had starter relays on the fender and solenoids on the starter since the 80's.
the 02 does not have a relay, the battery cable goes directly to the solenoid on the starter.

i was saying since you have an 01, try jumping the relay to see if the problem is in the relay, the starter, the batteries, or the connections.
The battery cable goes directly to the starter on an 01 too. The relay on the fender supplies current to engage the solenoid on the starter. It does not supply cranking current to the starter. Some of the starter relays located on the fenders of Fords, used a lot farther back than the 80's, did supply cranking current to the starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts