Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all started in early October, so my truck has been down for a few months. Initially the truck would have a very hard time starting but after it fired up it would run and start perfectly. Eventually it just would not start. I pulled the codes on it and got a high/low side open #1 and an IDM failure. I changed the injector harnesses on the passenger side to no avail. I have a modded IDM so I expected the failure code but I sent it away to have it looked at and it checked out fine. Still no start.

I monitored ICP and Duty Cylce while cranking and it built up to ~3800psi at 11-15% DC so I have ruled out my IPR. I changed the CPS once and the truck started after that but never again. I have confirmed the CPS is working properly as I am getting a RPM reading on the scanner.

I'm all but out of ideas. The only other two things I can think of are a PCM problem or MAYBE a bad CKS, but I don't know how probable these two issues are. I guess there's also the possibility that I have a bad pump, but once again I'm not sure how likely that is.

Any input would be a great help.

·
PSN Local
137 Posts
Do you have white smoke while cranking? If not then i would lean towards the fuel pump. Are all of your fuses good? I believe its the #22 under hood fuse that goes out that controls the pcm.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
I'm gonna watch this thread closely, I have similar issues. I am getting codes for #5&#7 hi/lo side open and idm failure. I can barely get mine started and once it does start it runs terrible extremly out of balance. I installed motor after rebuilding it, truck ran good except I had a mojor oil leak on front seal. Replaced seal and went to start truck and it would not start. I changed out ICP with a spare and after extended cranking got it started. Now it takes 2-3 min of cranking to get it started....and it barely starts....it fires and rolls over but wont quite take off and run on its own. I ohmed the pins on the uvch and ruled out bad harness, I as well have a modded idm, but you say a modded idm will give you a code for idm failure? I'm gonna pull valve covers and watch for oil spurts from injectors to rule out bad injectors next i guess. Good luck, if i figure something out i'll be sure to post back here.

·
BIG BUCK HUNTER
66 Posts
Just went though all this with mine and had to replace all injectors and FICM. You can double check your FICM easily with a little help. Make sure it is cold and not plugged in, otherwise it will show false voltage.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
FICM? Isnt that on the 6.0?

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have white smoke while cranking? If not then i would lean towards the fuel pump. Are all of your fuses good? I believe its the #22 under hood fuse that goes out that controls the pcm.
Yes sir, I've got smoke. I haven't checked the fuses which I suppose is worth doing as a just in case.

I'm gonna watch this thread closely, I have similar issues. I am getting codes for #5 hi/lo side open and idm failure. I can barely get mine started and once it does start it runs terrible extremly out of balance. Replaced seal and went to start truck and it would not start. I changed out ICP with a spare and after extended cranking got it started. Now it takes 2-3 min of cranking to get it started....and it barely starts....it fires and rolls over but wont quite take off and run on its own. I ohmed the pins on the uvch and ruled out bad harness, I as well have a modded idm, but you say a modded idm will give you a code for idm failure? I'm gonna pull valve covers and watch for oil spurts from injectors to rule out bad injectors next i guess. Good luck, if i figure something out i'll be sure to post back here.
Yep a modded IDM will almost always show an IDM failure code. I'm not sure if injectors are the problem or not. I suppose I immediately ruled any mechanical injector issue out because I had just sent them out to get a once over a mere four months ago and they were all fine. On a side note, I checked for codes yesterday and no high/low side open #1 code anymore :confused:

And yes the FICM is a 6.0 thing.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the injectors have buzzed perfectly several times. I could never get the truck warmed up enough to run a cct, and while trying to do a KOEO test the scanner would just sit in the initializing phase but never run the test.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a PCM on the way. I'll try that out then report back with the results.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Most basic, would be to check your fuel psi while cranking? Which im sure you have.... You covered the hpop and the cps, so if the fuel checks out, the PCM would be the next area to look at.......Usually if the buzz test runs, the IDM is good, but there has been a few on here that say the IDM will run the test, but could still be bad......

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Did you ever check ur compression after your injectors cropped out on you?

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked it on the cylinder that had the injector with the broken tip and the difference in compression from when I checked it and when it was last checked before was nominal. The only reason I have not explored that route is because I had the one instance when the truck started and ran for a few minutes. The PCM will be here today and I will install it tonight and hopefully I get some results.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried another PCM and the truck would still not start. I pulled the CPS and it was rubbed on the end. I know for a fact the cam gear is walking but I was getting a RPM reading on the scanner and in the truck with the sensor I pulled out tonight. Not sure what's going on there.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulled the CPS for laughs and here is what I found.

I knew my cam gear was walking but this is sensor had only been in for about 20 minutes of run time.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Truck started with another new CPS for about five seconds. It shut off and I pulled the CPS and found it looked like this.

Looks like I have to weight my options now as to what I want to do with the truck.

Thanks for everybody's help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts