Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed out my hpop, hpop lines, icp, irp, ebp, and ebp tube. Got it fired up but it ran really rough with lots of black smoke. Removed icp to let out some air and topped off with oil. Cant get it started.
Charged both batteries, no trouble codes, koeo injector buzz test checked out but some injectors are obviously worn. When cranking tach moves but only 100-200rpm.
Any ideas?

·
Administrator
8,414 Posts
it takes a lot of cranking to get the air out of the lines.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its more than just air in the hpop. My main concern is low start rpm(100-200rpm according to tach), and no smoke out the tail pipe.
It could very well be multiple issues at once throwing me for a loop, like a starter going bad, cps starting to go bad,etc... I dont really have enough mechanic skill to sort out a multiple issues at once.
My batteries are less than a year old. Ive got my batterys on the charger, ill try again tomorrow and ill let you know. I have a new cps in the mail just incase.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried starting again this morning. 3 attempts at 20 seconds each with a few min in between. No smoke, approx 100rpm on tach, fully charged batteries with clean, tight connections.
Because it passes buzz test i assume idm is functioning. Im going to try starting again with icp unpluged.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Horah! I got it started! Unplugging icp did the trick. Need to button everything up for a test drive.

·
Project Shamu
2,798 Posts
Makes sense the pcm wasnt getting a reading from the ICP (which is minimum 500psi while cranking).

Glad you found it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a new motorcraft icp. I wonder if its bad or if the hpop needed to prime to build pressure. I ll investigate more tmrw. I drove it around about 8 miles and i definately have a turbo leak. Other than that its running weak. Tried an extra $17 chinese icp and still getting a p1280 pressure low as well as a p1247 low boost.
Im letting it cool , then ill play with turbo piping and see if i can get boost up

·
Registered
566 Posts
With the ICP unplugged the PCM defaults to "stored" ICP values. If it is starting without the ICP installed there must be something like a partial short in the wiring that is pulling the voltage just low enough that the PCM thinks the ICP is good, but the oil pressure is low.

Cj

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do i check the icp wiring. I put a new icp pigtail on. I thought i was carefull not to mix up the wires. I soldered the connections rather than butt connectors. Im not super savy with electrical, but i do have a multimeter

·
Registered
566 Posts
Diablito,

Hopefully someone with wiring diagrams will pipe up. I only have the 97 wire diagrams and I know Ford made some changes to the pinouts on some of the connectors (PCM is one of them). In my 97 diagram the Gry/Red is the signal return (ground), Lt Blu/Red is the ICP sensor signal and Brn/Wht is VRef (5 volt power line). I would start by checking the wires that should have power and ground (need KOEO). You can ground one probe to the engine and check for voltage in the ground wire and for the correct voltage in the power wire. Then I would trace the ICP signal wire back to the PCM plug and check that it does not have any connection with the engine ground.

Cj

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, that helps alot. I think i have most of my turbo leaks. I'll go hunting for electrical gremlins tmrw after work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts