Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my son ran his truck low on oil. truck shut down. we hauled it home on a trailer. i changed the oil and oil filter 15w40 and fl1995 filter. truck started and ran for a couple of hrs. finally started to run smooth after the air was out of the system. started a couple day later started and ran ok. had some white smoke for a mile or so the cleared up and ran great. went to start it on Sunday took 45 seconds to build oil pressure on the gauge in the truck and started ran for a few seconds then staggered and shut down started back up after turning over for a long time and shut down after a few seconds again. checked the oil reservoir it was low i filled it and let it sit for 5 hrs to see if it was leaking no leak down. started truck last night took 30 seconds to start ran great for maybe 2 minutes the staggered and shut down tried restart started then shut down again. new o-rings on injectors less than 8000 miles new icp last year no chip all parts are ford motor craft. need help thanks in advanced.
2002 f350
7.3l
6 speed manual
219000 miles

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mule,

Did this all start after changing out the injectors?
"went to start it on Sunday took 45 seconds to build oil pressure on the gauge in the truck and started ran for a few seconds then staggered and shut down started back up after turning over for a long time and shut down after a few seconds again. "
I presume that you are looking at the low pressure oil gauge on the dash? Assuming that you are looking at the low pressure gauge it is worrisome that it would take so long to build pressure. Sorry I have to ask - did you fill the new filter with oil before putting it in?
If you are looking at a gauge that monitors the HPOP system then I'd say you may have pinched/cut an oring when reassembling the injector system. It could be that every time you build pressure on the oil side the oring further degrades.
"started truck last night took 30 seconds to start ran great for maybe 2 minutes the staggered and shut down tried restart started then shut down again. "
After you did this did you check the oil level again? If the oil level is dropping then I wold assume that a pinched/cut oring is leaking oil over to the fuel side.

Cj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes
Mule,

"went to start it on Sunday took 45 seconds to build oil pressure on the gauge in the truck and started ran for a few seconds then staggered and shut down started back up after turning over for a long time and shut down after a few seconds again. "
I presume that you are looking at the low pressure oil gauge on the dash? Assuming that you are looking at the low pressure gauge it is worrisome that it would take so long to build pressure. Sorry I have to ask - did you fill the new filter with oil before putting it in?
If you are looking at a gauge that monitors the HPOP system then I'd say you may have pinched/cut an oring when reassembling the injector system. It could be that every time you build pressure on the oil side the oring further degrades.
"started truck last night took 30 seconds to start ran great for maybe 2 minutes the staggered and shut down tried restart started then shut down again. "
After you did this did you check the oil level again? If the oil level is dropping then I wold assume that a pinched/cut oring is leaking oil over to the fuel side.

Cj
Mule,

Cj
it has been running great since i changed the injector o-rings like a year ago. yes i filled the filter and made sure it is full of oil.this all started after it shut down from low oil. looking at the gauge on the dash.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmm... this may require greater wisdom than I currently have. Do you have a scan tool that can read the codes and PIDs off the PCM? It would be worth looking at the ICP and IPR data while cranking the motor. It may be that you still have a bunch of air in the oil galleys that feed the injectors.

Cj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... this may require greater wisdom than I currently have. Do you have a scan tool that can read the codes and PIDs off the PCM? It would be worth looking at the ICP and IPR data while cranking the motor. It may be that you still have a bunch of air in the oil galleys that feed the injectors.
dont know if this helps but when i fill the reservoir truck fires up and sounds great after long crank but the reservoir goes empty after a minute or so. i will hook the scan tool from work up to it today.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mule,

Sounds like the low pressure oil pump LPOP has had it. You mentioned in your first post that the truck was having problems building pressure as witnessed by the dash gauge (which is looking at the low pressure system). The truck starts if you refill the HPOP reservoir, but it is emptying out while running... this indicates that the LPOP is not working. If this were my truck I would not try starting the truck until again until I had pulled the lpop and checked that it was good. I'll bet there is either a bad seal or the LPOP was trashed when the truck ran dry. You may (if you still have it) want to grab the used oil filter and cut it open and inspect for metal. Please let us know what you find.

Best of luck,

Cj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mule,

Sounds like the low pressure oil pump LPOP has had it. You mentioned in your first post that the truck was having problems building pressure as witnessed by the dash gauge (which is looking at the low pressure system). The truck starts if you refill the HPOP reservoir, but it is emptying out while running... this indicates that the LPOP is not working. If this were my truck I would not try starting the truck until again until I had pulled the lpop and checked that it was good. I'll bet there is either a bad seal or the LPOP was trashed when the truck ran dry. You may (if you still have it) want to grab the used oil filter and cut it open and inspect for metal. Please let us know what you find.

Best of luck,

Cj
that is what i was thinking it was going to be. i will get it taken out this week and post pics of the pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts