Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few qestions here. 1- my fuel pressure is droping down to zero if I crank on it for 30 seconds. 2- I ve heard of people having issues with the gear n, ot seating on the hpop. I checked this and with the main bolt off, the pully is about 1/8 to 1/4 from being fush with the pump. Is this normal or should the gear be flush? I've cranked the heck out of it and it won't start. Any help would be appricated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just did injectors and the hpop. I poured oil down the lines untill it came out the open line on the hpop, I also filled the hpop cover and it fired right up after cranking it a few times

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I filled the hpop tank. I just don't understand why my fuel pressure steady drops while cranking

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Crack a fuel line and have someone cycle the key until you get the air out (I put a Schrader valve on the reg to make this easier) still messy but you can do it yourself that way,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could just wire my pump on and crack a fuel line? I let the pump run for about 5 mins to see if I would just cycle the fuel thru the reg to the tank. I can hear fuel running thru my return line. It won't push air thru that way?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I hardley cracked the fuel and hpop lines and have oil and fuel with no air bubbles

·
Registered
445 Posts
After I drive mine it started better also

·
Registered
153 Posts
One thing I learn about priming the oil is take the plugs off on each head its a bolt head that's by each hpop line open them up and top off the oil in there crank it over if it still doesn't start see if it still needs topped off it the highest point in the hpop system for air to be traped in also if you get it running top the oil off at those same bolts in the head after about 10 miles of driving

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help so far. I will try all that tomorrow and hopefully that batterys will be al charged up

·
Registered
435 Posts
If your charger has the engine jump start feature, use it while you're trying to start the engine. Less wear & tear on the batteries.

What efuel do you have? You should not be losing fuel pressure while cranking. It should build to whatever pressure you have your regulator set to and stay there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I figured. I have a walbro pump with cat filters, then I used the driven/ stricly diesel return fuel for the reg and engine lines. Under no crank conditions (just running the pump) it holds 60 psi fine. I did not use a relay when I wired it. Maybe its just loseing voltage. I will wire in a relay and see what happens

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put a relay in, now have constant fuel. Also noticed when cranking after 10 seconds, everytime, the check engine light comes and a clicking nosie is heard under the hood. The clicking and cel seem to go hand and hand. I'm bummin man.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You may be on to a power loss issue. I think that clicking is a relay-- back when I installed some injectors, I disconnected the injector power fuse (to turn off the injs while cranking) and I heard this clicking.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Have the batteries checked independent from each other. See if it is relay #2 in the underhood box (My brother-in-law's truck did this after having one battery internally short ... we heard it go whump! from the cab). Maybe swap the underhood relays around. Cheers!

·
Registered
435 Posts
You may want to go back & double check all of the electical connections and the #22 Maxi fuse. Heck check all the fuses & relays while you're in there.
Did you install a new IPR when you installed your new hpop?
What did you do with the wires that used to go to the stock fuel bowl?
Are you getting any white smoke when you crank?
Did you get the hpop gear on correctly & torqued 90 ft lbs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Installed new ipr and new wire connector. Triple checked all of that. I taped the harness up where the fuel bowl stuff goes. Ipr is set and torqued to 90. I'm getting a little white when I crank and the tach moves

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very little white smoke is being emitted. As stated I looked at the hpop gear and it is 1/8 in off the pump. Is this normal?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Very little white smoke is being emitted. As stated I looked at the hpop gear and it is 1/8 in off the pump. Is this normal?
Yes, the gear sits off the pump a bit, 1/8" sounds about right.

Have you tried unplugging the ICP to see if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The icp is sensor on the dr. Side front head right? Also, I just had my buddy drag me around the block so see if I could pop it. While this was happening I could swear the injectors where firing the whole time. I kept hearing a constant clicking, and the cel was on. I have 12v on one side of the ipr and 300mili volts on the pcm with the key on. Is this correct? Does the ipr get 12v on both side while cranking?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts