Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just replaced the engine, also did high pressure fuel pump, injectors and turbo. Truck is deleted, fuel filters changed. I put it all together and bled the fuel system with the special tool until no air bubbles. Crank and no start. I tested low pressure fuel as the Pump didn’t sound healthy and it was 0 replaced and now I have 3psi, which I’m not sure why it’s so low at the bottom of spec. Still no start, no codes except p2291 icp to low cranking. Frp pid on ids is 0psi 0.49v with key on which is fine but cranking I still get 0psi doesn’t build at all. Any ideas of what to check tomorrow???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey just replaced the engine, also did high pressure fuel pump, injectors and turbo. Truck is deleted, fuel filters changed. I put it all together and bled the fuel system with the special tool until no air bubbles. Crank and no start. I tested low pressure fuel as the Pump didn’t sound healthy and it was 0 replaced and now I have 3psi, which I’m not sure why it’s so low at the bottom of spec. Still no start, no codes except p2291 icp to low cranking. Frp pid on ids is 0psi 0.49v with key on which is fine but cranking I still get 0psi doesn’t build at all. Any ideas of what to check tomorrow???
I have seen it to where you would install the bleeder, cycle the key until no air bubbles and then crank the engine over for 10 seconds or so then recycle the key a few more times...then more air bubbles. Might take several times like that before it fires after a complete tear down. I saw a guy on YouTube leave that bleeder in for a couple minutes after it cranked and still got some minor air. Another thing you could do is look rail pressure commanded/desired. If those numbers are off you still have air in the system.

·
<--It Runs Sometimes
180 Posts
Make sure you have no fuel pickup restrictions 3 psi is very low for a new pump (low pressure) I would like to see closer to 8

I thought the same, but when I installed my FASS pump it came factory set to 3psi

Edit: Google just made me a liar, says they ship at 10psi now. Either it was different when I bought mine or something is wrong, I stay right at 3psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just saw where you had checked and no rail pressure...bet it’s just full of air.
Definitely not full of air, I ran the pump for 10 min, kept cranking with bleeder on. It’s definitely not my first time having to bleed one of these.

Make sure you have no fuel pickup restrictions 3 psi is very low for a new pump (low pressure) I would like to see closer to 8
I rechecked the pressure with a digital gauge since the other one was hard to read a spec koeo I have 6.5 psi and koec I have 6psi

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So update, we had thought possibly a bad high pressure fuel pump and swapped in a new one. We ended up popping off injector lines and heard air being released. Re-bled the system and truck started.

Ended up having an airlock. Stuck between the pump and injectors. The first high pressure fuel pump we installed we kept because we had no reason to suspect it as the truck had an air lock. Installed the pump in a different truck and had same problem 0 psi cranking. Turns out the high pressure fuel pump was bad and was feeding air into the system. Luckily the second truck didn’t get as much air trapped and I was able to bleed it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts