Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i am new to the powerstrokes... i am actually a Duramax guy:D... In january i purchased a 2005 f-450 dump truck w/ 45k miles for my business. When i start the truck of a morning i runs rough and takes forever to warmup... it has no power and doesnt even want to shift. i have to let off the throtle to get it to shift. when it eventually warms up it runs ok but takes forever to get to that point. I live in southern IL and even on mild temp mornings it is like this. Is this normal for the 6.0 PSD's

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also... all filters have been changed and ran Lucas oil injector cleaner thru a couple tanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do a search on Rev-X. Many with these problems have found this to work. 5-40W synthetic will help too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Probably injector issues... Mine runs rough for a minute in florida. Coldstart issues started when I put in an old set of injectors. RevX is good, just gets expensive. Between syn. 5w40 and revx you will be paying close to 175 per oil change. Using 5w40 when you change your oil is a good place to start

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.... i have been reading up on the revX here and sounds like it has helped alot people... i will be trying some. what is fords injector warranty?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,315 Posts
Emissions warranty - 5 yrs / 100k miles (no deductible).

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,315 Posts
By definition, the emissions warranty states "no deductible"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will call the local ford garage tomrw... thanks

I

·
0 Posts
also... all filters have been changed and ran Lucas oil injector cleaner thru a couple tanks.

Stay away from Lucas for your 6.0. Most of there pruducts say on them, not for Powerstroke..

Sounds like injector related issues. Most 6.0's really don't like to be started and driven cold no matter what the tempature is outside.

I

·
0 Posts
Also unlike other diesel engines, the 6.0 is very particular about what oil you put in it. Motorcraft is a good choice if you don't want to spend the money on synthetic oil. Don't go more than 5K on changes and use motorcraft filters.

It's not uncommon for someone to change there oil and all of a sudden the truck runs like crap. I changed over to 5-40syn and it ran like crap. For some reason it likes Motorcraft 15-40 and HD 10-30 in the winter don't know why it just does..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stay away from Lucas for your 6.0. Most of there pruducts say on them, not for Powerstroke..

Sounds like injector related issues. Most 6.0's really don't like to be started and driven cold no matter what the tempature is outside.
man these psd's are picky...:doh:. i always let it idle for about 10min and it still wont hardly pull itself till up on temp and thats at 50-60* mornings

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,315 Posts
man these psd's are picky...:doh:. i always let it idle for about 10min and it still wont hardly pull itself till up on temp and thats at 50-60* mornings
There is something broken if it acts this way ...........

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that brings me to another question.... Is there alot of turbo lag on these 6.0's usually.

truck goes in Monday..... warrany was up April 29 2010. :eek:
Owner said he would help me out though.... we will see

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing and last truck did it also. Acts like the turbo isnt spooling or not getting fuel.
With most synthetics costing $10 a gallon more than non-synthetic, it takes 3 1/2 Gallons to change the oil, thats $35. This would put the cost of an non-synthetic with Rev-X change equal to that of a synthetic. After trying the Rev-X I found that my Turbo was putting out more boost than before the Rev-X. I currently had Rotella 5-40W synthetic with 2600 miles and noticed a difference in the starts and Turbo. I would like to try a C-J rated Oil with Rev-X and see it this would keep the problems at bay. But just before trying the Rev-X, I had found 8 gallons of Valvoline Blue Synthetic for less than $23 a gallon delivered, so I ordered it. May just wait till this winter and try the non-synthetic change with Rev-X.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 injectors are shot, one on each bank..... with only 45k on the dial. wow:eek:.... shoulda stuck with a duramax.... sorry i had to say that:D.

the question i have now is what about the others injectors? can i get ford to swap them out under warranty? will they be alright or will they just take a crap in the next month and cant get them warrantied?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,315 Posts
Unfortunately when you buy a used truck, you just don't know the type of care it had received. Injectors really do need to be protected (from water, low pressure, contaminants, etc) to be reliable.

I

·
0 Posts
2 injectors are shot, one on each bank..... with only 45k on the dial. wow:eek:.... shoulda stuck with a duramax.... sorry i had to say that:D.

the question i have now is what about the others injectors? can i get ford to swap them out under warranty? will they be alright or will they just take a crap in the next month and cant get them warrantied?
Replace the two bad ones and then change the oil/filter and fuel filters and stick to changing the oil and filter every 4 to 5K max. Change your fuel filters every other oil change and ONLY use Motorcraft filters for oil and fuel in your 6.0. And if you use a good quality cetane additive your EGR system will benifit from it and it will bring your cetane level up to where it should be and you will have better performance. That is what keeps the 6.0 happy..
As far as the warranty goes, it depends on the dealership, My dealer would probably take care of it, others would not..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts