Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!!! I have an 05 F-250 and have had the truck for 6 years and had never had power steering. I purchased The truck with it already lifted . The truck has a 6" lift on 37's. I have changed the power steering pump with a motorcraft oem pump, red head gear box, new hydro booster. The truck will turn great in grass or gravel while not moving or if you are driving the truck turns fine. I have removed the steering stabilizer and put stock tires on still no power steering. Any help or ideas would be great.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Honestly, I wish I had an answer for you, because I've had the same issue with mine since I bought it....and my ex has had the same issue with hers as well. Lots of folks do. Not sure what the fix is.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Honestly, I wish I had an answer for you, because I've had the same issue with mine since I bought it....and my ex has had the same issue with hers as well. Lots of folks do. Not sure what the fix is.
The fix is to see if it's loosing pressure, and if so, where. If it's not, then look at stuff like binding front end parts. Or maybe just too much weight in the front end or something, not sure about that one, kinda doubt it though.

Get ya a pressure gauge good for say, 3000 psi. Then you'll need adapters and what not. I'm sure a Google search will yield some cheaper kits available.

·
Administrator
8,344 Posts
one of the biggest causes of this is low tire air pressure.
if my 02 has 35 lbs in the tires, no power steering at idle. if i kick air pressure up over 60 lbs, power steering works fine at idle.

·
don't play well w others
3,998 Posts
Second problem is wrong pressure spring/regulator in replacement pump
there are several different pressure relief springs

Watch though, you can blow a line off if you don't reduce the pressure enough for the pump to "float" if there is too much tension against it

Best cure is to convert to a Saginaw pump

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Good information to know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts