Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i figured i should post this since it has me (and others) stumped. It is believed that i have cracked heads but before i could find replacement heads my truck has developed an oil pressure issue. I parked the truck, turned it off, and tried to start it about 10-15 minutes later, it fired off and quickly died, so i tried again and i had an extended crank but it finally started. The truck falls on its face over 3k RPM, and now it always has extended cranks. The scanner showed good ICP, we put a mechanical gauge on the oil filter housing and it showed what looked to be 0 PSI AT IDLE! (the gauge might not have been the most accurate since there were no lines between 0-50 PSI) Even when we ran the RPMs up to about 3k the PSI never reached 50. According to some reading i did awhile back the truck shouldn't even start, let alone run. We have changed the LPOP and the pressure regulator, next will be the HPOP and IPR. However, i have a feeling it is a low pressure issue rather than a high pressure issue. I'm open to any input, i am out of town and have been for about 3 weeks, the truck is at Logan's and he has been driving it a little to see if any other problems arise. So lets hear what you think! Thanks in advance!

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
You put a low pressure gearset in it, but was the front cover scored?

A large enough high side leak will drain the low pressure side.

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to get some input from you Doug. The front cover didn't seem scored, the gearset was actually fairly smooth with almost no scoring. So you're saying that it could possibly be a high pressure leak draining the LPOP pressure?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It blew the front seal out of the HPOP.

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that repairable? Or would i need a new HPOP?

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so yesterday i changed the HPOP and IPR and i no longer have extended cranks. However, the truck still falls on its face over 3k RPMs, it has no pawer in the top end. What might cause this issue?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
At idle you should be seeing about 25psi, pressure ur getting out of the oil filter housing should be reading the lpop if I'm correct, have you checked the factory oil pressure gauge ? Lpop feeds everything to the top so you should have some reading

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have oil pressure on my factory gauge, i finished getting it back together late last night so i didn't get a chance to put a mechanical gauge on it. It doesn't have extended cranks anymore, so i think we have fixed the oil pressure issue unless that is what's causing my no top end power problem :shrug:

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
You might have sealed one leak and found yourself a new one. Have to look at ipr duty cycle while this is happening to see what's going on.

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Doug, haven't really watched it much on the scanner. Yesterday i swapped out the ICP and it ran like a top for about 30 miles, and then it lost the top end power again..

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so i have finally solved my no top end power issues. I drained the water fuel seperator, and that helped for awhile so i drained it again and then the pump went out. We swapped the pump, and now it's running great again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts