Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the forum and also new to working on a big diesel truck. My 1996 F350 has a hard time starting in the morning and i read up on this and also did some checks already.
pretty sure my GPR needs to be replaced since it works better when I jump the relay. I wanted to test my glow plugs with a multimeter and when I put it on the Ohm setting ground the negative and touch the outer pins with my positive I get no reading. tried different ones and even the ones on my parts truck and no reading. Any ideas what the reason for that could be? ****ty multimeter?

Thanks for your input

·
Administrator
8,674 Posts
no. good glow plugs only read .5 to 1.5 ohms so you need to set it very low to get a reading. if the truck starts when you jump the relay i would say the glow plugs are good for now.

with cold engine,put volt meter negative to ground wire and probe gpr terminals with positive wire with meter on 20 volt range, you should see around 12 volts on 3 of the 4 terminals. the one large terminal with no power is the one going to the glow plugs.
now have a helper turn key to run and probe the one that had no power. if it is now hot, the relay is good. if still no power, the relay is bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some readings today on the GP`s which almost all are to low. still some with no reading so i guess i will just order some new ones. not the most expensive purchase anyways. Thanks for your help

·
Administrator
8,674 Posts
motorcraft ZD-11 glow plugs ONLY
all other brands are pure crap and some burn out on the first use.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
When you pull your valve covers on the ones that are not reading check them then. You could have some bad wiring.

Also if you didn't think of it replace all of them at the same time. Saves headaches later.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you are going to replace the plugs, get a 1/4"-drive 10mm deepwell socket and an extension. It gives more clearance getting in between the rockers. Cheers!

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are going to replace the plugs, get a 1/4"-drive 10mm deepwell socket and an extension. It gives more clearance getting in between the rockers. Cheers!
Second this, it has to be a 1/4" drive socket. I didn't read carefully enough on here the first time I did the job and tried with a 3/8" drive. NOPE.
Another thing I didn't listen do on here is replacing the GP relay with the "stancor" type. Several folks told me to just do it but I stubbornly didn't listen because I had just replaced it with a ""new" one. My GPR was operating when I tested it with the meter, but evidently dropping too much voltage -- I still had to plug in when near freezing temps. I finally upgraded it and fixed all my problems. It seems like the original GPRs were fine but when they do go bad the same-style replacements are garbage so you have to upgrade.
While you've got the VC's off consider ohming the UVCH from plug to plug, just in case you have damage in there. Better to find that now than after you have the VC's back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts