Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 F250 6.0 with 122k miles. The heat hasn't worked in it for a year or so. It'll blow cold air, but switch from vent to defrost to floor just fine. About once every two-three weeks it'll blow hot air for a few minutes then switch back to cold. It doesn't matter if I'm stopped or going 80 mph. It just switches to hot randomly and then its gone and I'm back to being cold. Haha. This morning on my way to work it was -2 out and 20 miles into my commute the "Check Gauges" alert beeped at me and my coolant gauge was up in the red. I took my exit and about 1 miles later it was fine, back to normal. Drive 5 more miles and it freaks out again. I don't know if the problems are related. The coolant level is fine with no leaks. When I bought it in July of 2012 I put an SCT tuner on it with custom tunes and got the EGR delete done and my turbo rebuilt. I run it in the fuel saver mode 90% of the time. It's in that tune now. Someone said it may be the thermostat. Ford will look at it for free and a thermostat install/replace will run about $250. The local diesel shop wants $125 diagnostic fee and an est of $575 to repair... Any ideas?

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
Probably something didn't get reassembled correctly after the egr delete. The heater valve on the passenger side above the valve cover allows the hot water to circulate through the heater core. I just bought a tstat for about 26$ shipped to my door. Any chance you could put one in your self? its not a difficult job. You should have some heat even if the tstat is bad. Is your radiator hot after running it a while?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I didn't think of that. I'm sure I could install one. I'm decently handy especially with the help of YouTube. And even if that doesn't fix the problem, I'm only out $26. But I'll check the radiator after I get home from work tonight. If the truck is driving normally, even with the gauge being weird, is it still okay to drive? Do you have the link you bought the tstat from?

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
As long as the engine isn't overheating it won't hurt anything. Just to be clear, my point in checking for heat in the radiator was that if the radiator is warm you should be able to get heat in the cab if you can get the water to flow through the heater core. What is your temp gauge doing that makes you say it's acting up?
Below is a link to sunrise Ford where I bought my tstat. Read the first post completely to get additional discounts.

http://sunrisefordparts.com/

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
I'm glad you got it figured out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts