Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm new to this and have looked over 100's of threads and could not find an explanation to my problem. I have a 2001 Ford F250 w/ a 7.3 from international with less then 20,000 miles. My block heater started to leak so I drained the fluid from the block and put new dope tape on the threads and reinstalled. I took the fluid that came out and was going to reuse it since it was replaced no more then 9 months prior to that. Here is my problem, the fluid that I took out ( around 3 gallons) only 1.5 has gone back in. I fill the bottle to the min line and wait a few hours then fill to the same line. I did this for a few days thinking that the air is being pushed out. I start the truck and the coolant that is in the degas gets pushed up and out the cap, not violently, just like there is a bit extra pressure and nowhere for it to go. The heater does not work, so I know there is air in the system, the water pump is working because when I open the degas cap I hear air releasing. The truck has a hard time warming up since it is -10 outside, so there is an issue of getting it up to temp. I drove it around for about an hour yesterday trying to get the system to purge itself but all it did was push out a the coolant from the degas bottle. The temp didn't get above half and the heater blew cold the whole time. There isn't any coolant in my oil or oil in my coolant. I'm lost right now and I'm hoping this is an easy fix, thanks for all your help with this matter. This site has helped me with other issues and has made my life easier with trouble shooting this truck.
Sorry for the long winded :blah: post :blah:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:Update:
The upper and lower radiator hose is cool to the touch and the hoses that are going to the heater core are cool to the touch after the truck had been idling for 25 minutes. The temp only got up to the lower reading of cold on the temp gauge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take the degas cap off, open the heater control valve and let it idle for 10 plus minutes. Sounds like you have a lot of air in the system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to go I will do that in the morning. The high tomorrow is -12F is that going to have any effect on getting the air out of the system?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
that's a lot of air in the system. Try what greenman01 said, if that doesn't work you could try renting a coolant fill tool. I used to have one, and they are awesome. They suck out the coolant and create a vacuum in the system. then you open a valve and it sucks the coolant back in. One of the best tools I ever had.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My guess is that the thermostat is sitting high and dry. If nothing else works might try filling the block through the thermostat hole. Seems like mine took a couple days to burp all of the air out. At -12 I doubt its really warming up that much anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:Update 2:
I just got done idling the truck for about 25 min with the degas cap off, and the coolant level just rose to the point of almost coming out. I squeezed the upper radiator hose thinking that I could get some coolant to flow through the system and with the truck off you can hear the air moving over the coolant. Gives a swooshing noise when you squeeze the radiator hose. The temp didn't really move all that much during the time the truck was running. Prior to this it would get up to the lower indicator line. I think I am going to start all over again. I am going to drain all the fluid and slowly fill the system back up to include getting a new thermostat. I will let you guys know what is going on. I appreciate all your help with this matter, if something else comes up before I start over I will let you all know. Again, thank you all for the suggestions!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Try unhooking a heater hose and fill it that way so the air can be released through a different point than the expansion tank. Don't try it with the engine running though or you will have a major mess.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Park your truck on a slight slant, with the front of your truck higher than the rear, and run it for a few with the degas cap off. In regards to that swoosh you hear when squeezing the upper hose, there is nothing unusual about that. And idling your truck only, it is really hard to reach operating temp like that, especially with ambient temps as cold as where you are. Even at my house with temps around 30-40 deg, idling 15 min barely moves the temp gauge. Drive the truck, and if anything give it a little throttle while driving and this will help purge the air out the system. Also, while doing all of the previously mentioned things in my post, have your heat on full blast, this will help purge the air as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:update 3: Okay, put the truck up on a slant and got the same response in that the fluid level just rose and didn't go anywhere. The thing I am going to do after reading a few other threads about this is I'm going to cut the return line on the heater core and put in a flushing "T" and see if I can't get the air to push out that way. I will start the truck, let it run and open the cap a bit to see if I can get the air out, if I get fluid then I know then air is out of the heater core. The heater core lines are about a half inch higher then the radiator and I am guessing that is where the trapped air is. I was going to put one in anyways so that I could flush the entire system out when I leave here and go back to the lower 48.

·
Registered
616 Posts
With the cap off and the defrost on high heat, run the engine. Run the RPM's up around 1500 and hold it there till the temp rises. If you're not getting heat out of the heater core, you still have air in the lines. You need to run it till the t-stat opens. Be ready to add some antifreeze when she burps.

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
I've never had issues trapping that much air, after doing a water pump twice, oil cooler, and two lower rad hose changes.

I'd try the quick and easy way. Drain the petcock on the rad into a bucket or two, slowly add just enough coolant until you can see it in the bottom of the degas tank, start the engine and slowly add as the engine is running.

Sounds like you may have just filled too fast and trapped a big air pocket. No need to over think the process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here is what I had to do to fix this issue. I cut the return line to the heater core and put in a "T". When I cut the line the I had the cap on the degas bottle so as to not empty the bottle and create a void somewhere else. After I hooked up the "T" I opened the cap on the degas bottle and watched as the entire bottle emptied out. I refilled it and let the system purge itself without starting the truck. I then opened the cap on the "T" and let the air out as the system finally started to fill. I started the truck and parked the truck in a snow berm to it nose high. I refilled the system as the fluid went through. So finally after a week of having truck with the largest amount of air that I have ever come across I finally have heat. It is a wonderful thing! Thank you Greenman01, Goneracin, cpdad93, Bustedknuckles, and Rowe for all your input and knowledge, you all helped me get my truck back on the road. Thank you all!!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cpdad93: the wife said that the truck just needed a good ol' John Goodman fart to make it feel better... couldn't stop laughing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tron, thank you for getting back to us with your solution. So many times there are posts with no final solution. You have gone from student to teacher--the rest of us who may not have had this problem will now remember your fix. The beauty of these forums is that many people with different ways of troubleshooting can chime in and often spark an idea that results in a fix without going to the dealer or shop. These trucks are just complicated enough that they would not be practical for many of us if we did not have online forums. Thanks again for the chance to learn something new! Larry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts