Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That set up is different than mine but can't you remove the fuel line before the filter assembly and see if it pumps fuel? If it pumps none its dead, if it pumps weak seems like it would fill the filter assembly up and then run out under higher throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yea fixed the problem. the old fuel pump was bad/ weak. Put a new one in and now the new pumps runs like a coked up whore. thanks for all the help everyone, i appreciated it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you lost the prime it wont fill either. I learned this after running out of fuel one time. Had to pressurize the fuel tank with an air compressor to get the fuel to push up. Hope you get it goin!
In order to prime with an air compressor, do you need to have someone cycle the key while you pressurize the tank? I’m tracking down a no start no fuel at bowl issue. I think I burned out my fuel pump by not priming it after having the tank down. I don’t want to burn the new one once I get it hooked up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just noticed this article,,You should leave an air es cape avenue near the filter or the filter itself for the fuel to travel up the line..Fill every source of fuel storage in your system, and go at it..There is a breather tube at the tank fill cap, Plug or cover that as air will escape..I filled my system once this way,, it started just fine .. The Gov Holmes You might pinch the flex line on breather tube ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just noticed this article,,You should leave an air es cape avenue near the filter or the filter itself for the fuel to travel up the line..Fill every source of fuel storage in your system, and go at it..There is a breather tube at the tank fill cap, Plug or cover that as air will escape..I filled my system once this way,, it started just fine .. The Gov Holmes You might pinch the flex line on breather tube ???
I was planning on leaving the cap and filter off the fuel bowl, but does the compressed air force the fuel through the pump without cycling the key?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes the key starts the pump...Without fuel at its side the pump has trouble getting a good handle on fuel...No vacuum , or if there is vacuum it would be slight clear at end of fuel line.. Have ing to lift fuel up that fuel line from remote engine site, it can only help your task, an area for air to escape and fuel running all over the floor would tell you quickly that its there...A helper watching would be best...The Gov Holmes Opps getting the line loose prier to the fuel pump would be best,, Check valves in pump may cause a problem ? Sorry bout that...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes the key starts the pump...Without fuel at its side the pump has trouble getting a good handle on fuel...No vacuum , or if there is vacuum it would be slight clear at end of fuel line.. Have ing to lift fuel up that fuel line from remote engine site, it can only help your task, an area for air to escape and fuel running all over the floor would tell you quickly that its there...A helper watching would be best...The Gov Holmes Opps getting the line loose prier to the fuel pump would be best,, Check valves in pump may cause a problem ? Sorry bout that...
Yes, I know how the fuel pump works and how it is activated, question was if it is necessary to cycle the pump in order for the compressed air to make its way from the tank to the fuel bowl. Thanks for the replies, but I feel like we are having a disconnect in our communication. I am just going to figure it out through trial and error and hopefully not burn out my new pump. Thanks again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I replaced my pump this summer and i just might have hurt it also,, as the fuel line had a shut off valve in line ..There is a water separator in line and near the pump, about 2 feet in front of new fuel pump.. I just went at it, opened the shut off valve which is lower in elevation to pump and switched the elc pump on...took more time at no pressure than i had hoped for, was it running dry..? I have fuel pressure gauge that i was watching and new pump looked dry at installation and was, in my thoughts it ran dry before fuel sucked up and into pump for lubrcation , did i hurt it ? Did not help it... B K we are on same thought , just not pros in typing etc, The Gov Holmes

21 - 28 of 28 Posts