Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 f-250. I just recently bought the truck from my friend. It sat for 3 years without running. Now within the last few months I put in a new transmission, stock port & polished turbo with wicked wheel upgrade. The fuel ports on front and back of cylinder head opened up. It currently has no tuner. I replaced fuel filter and I have finally come to the point of starting the truck after 3 years and the truck will crank all day but the fuel bowl will not fill up and the fuel pump works. I need some advice and getting frustrated. :confused::confused::confused:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
620 Posts
There has to be a restriction in the line either after the pump or before, or just no fuel in the tank. If the sending unit is stopped up you may not get fuel, if the black boot with screen is broke off it won't pick up fuel if less than a 1/8 of tank. Try disconnecting line after pump and see if fuel comes out with key on. If not i would suspect problem in tank as mentioned or somehow the pump is running without pumping. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
853 Posts
sounds to me like pick up screens are clogged or the fuel that was in it while it was sitting is gelled solid I would drop the tank and check the pick up boot and screens

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Definitely sounds like a fuel pick - up issue. Once mine hits a 1/4 tank I'm done. Hutch & Harpoon Modification time.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
That and a fuel bowl will not fill with the lid off..in case you did not know.
Google guzzle 7.3 lots of fuel bowl info and on the hutch mod.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
All my 7.3 SD have filled bowls with the cap off.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Then they were modded..there is a check valve in the stem of the fuel bowl.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I thought the filter check valve just prevented fuel going to the heads from the bowl when no filter or cap was present? I may be wrong though.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Either way leave cap on open drain place hose on drain tube to empty milk jug. Turn on key.
It should start filling jug pretty quick.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought the filter check valve just prevented fuel going to the heads from the bowl when no filter or cap was present? I may be wrong though.
Yes, this is correct. It is designed from Ford this way to prevent you from running the engine with no filter. Your fuel bowl will not fill up with the lid off. But if you run the cap down to just before the lip seal with the filter installed, it should more or less pour out. But sitting that long you could have a lot of algae in the tank also, which could easily plug your sending unit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cha dude!
77 Posts
If you lost the prime it wont fill either. I learned this after running out of fuel one time. Had to pressurize the fuel tank with an air compressor to get the fuel to push up. Hope you get it goin!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pickup screens are clean. The lines are not blocked. I just think the fuel pump is to weak to pump any fuel. It still turns on. Im just not 100%.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
While I never like to just trow parts on..
If I was in your shoes I would be really tempted to try one of the cheapo eBay fuel pumps and see. If it cures it then you know and not out much cash. If it doesn't your not out a bunch of money..

I haven't sen a lot of oem pump failures on stock trucks but I am sure it happens.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Fuel bowl absolutely will fill up with no filter in it or lid on it. I've got $100 if you want to bet me different! !!

Check valve that sends filtered fuel to injectors is filter related

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
There was one other guy that said he did that..I thought the tank had a vent though.
He made no mention of that.

I would be tempted to disconect fuel line see if there is any blockages. Then go from tank to pump disconect after pump see if fuel flows to that point. Keep going till you find problem.

·
Cha dude!
77 Posts
I think it may have a vent but its right in the filler(?).. i wrap a rag around the air hose and blast air in around 30-40psi. Fuel was up there in a jif.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts