Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange new issue that has been plaguing me for a few weeks now. I have a 2003 f250 6.0L with 213k. Half the time, it starts right up with the ignition, no problem. Sometimes I turn the key and get no crank. Usually I can bypass the ignition by touching the solenoid wire (passenger side) to the pos battery terminal with the key in the run position, and it starts right up. On 2 occasions, however (including right now), that trick fails and I'm stranded for a few hours until the truck decides it will start again.

As soon as the issue began, I replaced my starter with a reman from O'Reilly's. When this didn't solve the problem, I replaced the batt to batt, starter, solenoid pos wire with the genuine Ford cables. Now it starts more often with the key only, but still not 100%. I've ordered new neg batt cables because I noticed one has 3 inches of corroding, exposed wire! Also ordered a new relay for slot 307 in fuse box.

Finally, I've burned through 4 alternators in 2 years, and now I'm thinking my wiring may have been the culprit all along!

Any suggestions for what else this problem could be? If my new cables and relay don't fix it, then I'm not sure where to look next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATES

1. I forgot to mention that I also brought both batteries into O'Reillys for load testing and they passed.

2. This morning I had my first hard start since this issue began. It cranked for a good 10 seconds before firing up (ignition start this time).

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Next time it happens, see if you're getting power at the solenoid or not. Either way, if jumping the solenoid straight to power doesn't crank the engine, then either the solenoid wire is bad, the batt+ is bad the starter motor is bad or possibly a ground, but that ones not very likely.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sounds like the root cause of your starting problem is: O'Reilly Re-man.
You can probably play warranty roulette with them and MAYBE luck out and get a good one in the first 7 tries...but I would not hold my breath. Bite the bullet and get a new Remy and your starting problems should be over.
Now...as for your wiring issues-just start tracing and testing wires. There is probably one or more that are either chafed/broken/disconnected. Electrical gremlins are an evil and sinister beast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions!

All new ground cables installed today. That passenger side one was nasty! Multiple corroded exposed wires....

New starter relay in slot 307.

New ignition switch.

Still won't start from the key half the time. I can still start by touching the solenoid wir to the pos terminal.

I don't know what else I can throw at it... I may try a new (not reman) starter, but any other suggestions before I go that route?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did that a few weeks ago. 12v at the solenoid terminal when key is turned to the start position, even during no crank condition.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Next put positive lead at starter case and negative on batt negative and take a measurement while cranking. This will be a voltage drop off the ground circuit. Normally, .2v is the maximum, but starting is a different ball of wax since the block is so loaded with current during cranking. I'm going to guess .2 to .4 is probably about right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a problem on my 03 f350 6.0,
Someone left the key in on position while I was on my night shifts and it drained the batteries I put a charger on on side and hooked my car on the other to jump it .
Ok so it has power to the dash but it wont crank when I turn the key to start I get nothing it ran fine and always started fin before this happened.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,222 Posts
Will it crank when jumpering the starter solenoid wire to the passenger battery (+) terminal?

(yellow with light blue striped colored wire near the passenger side battery in the engine compartment, by the vacuum pump - it has a "squeeze-and-pull" type connection)

Reactions: BULLLL39
1 - 12 of 12 Posts