Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PSN Veteran
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 97 PSD like mine and he cant communicate with his scan tool via OBD 2. Is his ECM bad or is it possible that someone before him had a tuner on it? If his ECM is bad, anyone on here have one they want to get rid of or know of a place besides ford to get one?????

·
PSN Veteran
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea the truck run fine, but hes worried if something goes wrong he wont be able to find out whats wrong with it. Know of a good place to get an ECM?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

You never mentioned what scan tool he has. Some less expensive scan tools cannot communicate with PSDs. I would try using a good scan tool like one from Snap On or the factory scan tool to try to communicate with the truck.

The only times I've been unable to get a good scan tool to communicate was the cigarette lighter fuse was blown, the trucks batteries were dead, or the PCM was bad. And when the PCM's have been bad, the trucks did not run right, or run at all.

Dave

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
fuse is good... if someone had load tunes from a tuner can you still communicate with a scan tool?
I missed this my first read through. Are you saying he can load tunes into the truck with a programmer, and it works? If that's what you're saying, then it's his scan tool that is having the problem communicating with the truck, not the other way around.

Try and hook his scan tool up to your truck, and see if it works or not.

Dave

·
PSN Veteran
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he cant load tunes or communicate with the scanner... the scanner works fine on mine. im thinkin bad ecm unless with certain tuners the scan tool wont work?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
check the fuse for the power point i think it powers the com link to

1 - 14 of 14 Posts