Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just as the title says today while heading home i went to slow down/stop and the brake pedal just fell to the floor, only the last inch of the pedal worked the breaks and it wasnt very much breaking power. and i noticed the my powersteering was kinda staring to whine, not sure if the 2 are conected with each other or not. basic knowalge suggest to me that tis the master cylinder or hydrobooster, but want more opions on it before i go spending money and throwing parts at it. and input is very much appercitated

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Any fluid leaks?

ABS codes/ light?

If you loose hydro assist from your power steering pump you will have a high and firm pedal. If the pedal sinks to the floor either you have a base brake issue, fluid leaks, or the ABS had a false activation usually caused by a speed sensor dropping out.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Starting simple.. is there the proper amount of ATF in the power steering pump?

When pumps run low or get air in the system, the steering acts funky, brakes are real mushy and the pump whines.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Starting simple.. is there the proper amount of ATF in the power steering pump?

When pumps run low or get air in the system, the steering acts funky, brakes are real mushy and the pump whines.
:whs:

·
Registered
183 Posts
ok thank you for that, im gona to go check it RIGHT now.
mine did the same thing and it was the line from the hydroboost to the ps pump the i/c pipe had rubbed a pin hole in the line might check that.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine did the same thing and it was the line from the hydroboost to the ps pump the i/c pipe had rubbed a pin hole in the line might check that.
ended up with a hole right their!. replaced the hose but i still have no breaks, im thinking i have LOTS of air in the system cuz when the problem first stared my brake fluid looked nasty so i used a shopvac and sucked all the fluid out so i think its jsut still full of air

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Replace the line.
Put the front end on jack stands.
Pull the return line off the hydra-boost system. (it's the 3/8 port with a tension clamp under the brake master cylinder. The line should go to the power steering reservoir.)

Use 3/8 hose from this port to a bucket.
Fill the power steering reservoir with atf. I use mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Get 3-4 quarts.
Start the truck and pump the brakes 3-4 times as hard as you can. Turn the truck off.
Refill the reservoir.
Start truck, turn the wheels back and forth.
Refill the reservoir.
Repeat until fresh atf to flowing into the bucket.

Do NOT let the reservoir empty and get air in the system. Take your time.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Replace the line.
Put the front end on jack stands.
Pull the return line off the hydra-boost system. (it's the 3/8 port with a tension clamp under the brake master cylinder. The line should go to the power steering reservoir.)

Use 3/8 hose from this port to a bucket.
Fill the power steering reservoir with atf. I use mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Get 3-4 quarts.
Start the truck and pump the brakes 3-4 times as hard as you can. Turn the truck off.
Refill the reservoir.
Start truck, turn the wheels back and forth.
Refill the reservoir.
Repeat until fresh atf to flowing into the bucket.

Do NOT let the reservoir empty and get air in the system. Take your time.
If this happens, you start all over.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so why do i put the front on the jack stands? just to turn the wheels? why cant i just leave it on the ground and turn them?

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
so why do i put the front on the jack stands? just to turn the wheels? why cant i just leave it on the ground and turn them?
leaves nasty ass marks. You an leave them on the ground, it will pump more fluid.

Doing the method described before, will flush your system. Which you probably need anyways..

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
leaves nasty ass marks. You an leave them on the ground, it will pump more fluid.

Doing the method described before, will flush your system. Which you probably need anyways..
ok thanks, will doing that method fix my no breaks do you think?

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
ok thanks, will doing that method fix my no breaks do you think?
Since you had a hole in the line and leaking fluid, you need to fix the line the follow my steps mentioned before. Just take your time. The reservoir will empty rather quickly and not much will come out the return until all the air is out. Remember this will take 3-4qts of atf to flush/fill the whole system including the cooler.

Having someone start and shut down the truck between pumping the brakes while you monitor fluid levels helps a lot.

It's rather simple to do, you will be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts