Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And I was missing the trans output shaft yoke n
ut, so that's done now too.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Don't forget to re-grease your pilot bearing before you put the transmission back in :).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Don't forget to re-grease your pilot bearing before you put the transmission back in :).
Yeah I'm going to grease it and I'm putting in a new throw out bearing as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well the more research I do, the more I feel like I've got a cracked or broken injector tip...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I decided to pull and inspect injectors. I don't see any nozzle issues but...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Lots of gunk on bottom oring for fuel. When I had changed the fuel filter when I got the truck, the fuel bowl was filled with gunk up to the heating element. But it still didn't have this issue yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Lookin' good. How was it to put together?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I haven't abandoned the thread I've just been busy. But heres an update...

Turbo reinstalled with ebpv modded pedestal, no down pipe or ebpv housing on yet, transmission not back in yet but bolted the plate that holds the starter down for some testing. I was impatient and tore everything apart instead of waiting to get a scanner lol. So last night I was cranking and cranking bleeding air from the fuel and oil rails. I cracked the fuel rail return line until I got fuel and built pressure. I removed hpo rail plugs on tops of both heads and cranked until rails filled. Then tried starting for 30 mins off and on until realizing I had the fuel bowl harness unplugged haha(I decided to go ahead and replace the fuel pump while I had the turbo out and I pulled the bowl again when doing so). Went back to cranking when I realized I had no rpm... left CPS unplugged after trying to replace it(I was having trouble popping it out so I gave up and left the old one in lol) and at that point it was 11PM and batteries dying so I am waiting to get home after work and check out data. I should have just waited and put a scanner on it to begin with lmao. Things I've noticed on data already, IAT is over 480⁰F(unplugged it and it defaults to 58), ECT shows 170⁰F(idk if 2 sensors are used) but I know the dash gauge sending unit is bad, I grounded it and it maxed out the gauge though so wiring is good but with no change on data. Baro reading is 9psi with a map reading of 14.5 so idk why there's a discrepancy between the two. Dying to get home and find out more!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
ECT is useless on pre 99 trucks. Look at EOT instead. Allowing the batteries to go super low while cranking seems to shorten the PCM life, be careful.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
ECT is useless on pre 99 trucks. Look at EOT instead. Allowing the batteries to go super low while cranking seems to shorten the PCM life, be careful.
Yeah I stopped once cranking started to slow a bit, but I do know the guy before me had trouble getting it going and did all kinds of cranking with crap low batteries, hopefully all is well with the pcm. Thanks for the help so far by the way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wow, so these trucks have a separate baro sensor instead of using koeo map reading for baro like everything else I've ever worked on lol.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My own opinion (might be worth little). Separating out the Baro reading from the MAP was a good idea. If all you have is one data point for barometric pressure when you start the engine and then when you climb a hill you will no longer have a correct fueling map and you are dumping un needed fuel down the tailpipe. Case in mind - driving home from California a number of years ago.. started the truck at 50 over sea level in San Jose and didn't shut the engine down until my first fillup in Reno 5 someodd hours later at 4500 ft. In my reading it seems that there is a membrane in the Baro sensor that can detach and cause incorrect readings. Something to think about at any rate.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts