Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GUYS/GALS,
Here is the problem I know the clock spring causes some issues in the 99-03 Powerstrokes, but from what I have read when the clock spring is the problem you have an airbag light come on. Mine is not that way and I can't seem to find any answers on the forums. The situation being abnormal from everyone else tells me it could be something I did. I did just install an edge insight and could have knocked a wire loose. Here is a list of issues that may or may not be connected:

No horn
No cruise
No airbag light
No dash lights behind the headlight switch just the fog light indicator works

and another set of issues i don't think are related

Door ajar light
no door locks
Dome light doesn't come on when opening door

Now I'm 99% positive that these issues are not related, but if anyone out there has a place to start with these issues and a way to fix them that would be so so helpful. I just don't want to start throwing money at them and nothing fix it.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
ok, the door ajar light is common, the sensor in the door goes bad in these trucks. I have replaced 2 with ford oem parts, and they fail again. when that light is on, the dome light is on, except for when you go over 15mph. Then it over rides the switch and turns it off. Therefore you will have no dome light. (check the bulb just to be safe too)

your clock spring issue is exactly opposite of mine. I have the airbag light indicating no drivers side air bag. but everything else works. So I'm guessing it is possible for only some of the connections in there to break.

As for the dash lights and locks..... I would start with checking fuses I guess.

Let us know what you find

·
Registered
708 Posts
For the door ajar light, spray wd40 in the hinges and keep slamming the doors, several times. Add more wd40, repeat. Eventually they will be fixed, no joke.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
good to know

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been reading and I'm thinking that its my VSM. I guess all 02's have this problem. I will try the WD40 trick when I get home today.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
VSM? Im not doubting you, I just dont know what that is, please educate me

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Goneracin,
The VSM (Vehicle Security Module) is what (i think) controls your key fob, door locks, car alarm, items like that. I believe the switched over in 2002 to the VSM. If you google 2002 powerstroke VSM problems you will find more info about it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thanks for the info. I know nothing about that whole system, but good luck with it all

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah if you have an 02 I would look into this issue, because only Ford can reprogram it and its a dealer Item.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
thanks but mine is an 01, and doesnt have the factory key fob

·
Registered
708 Posts
None of the PSD trucks in our generation have the key fob, only the excursions do. If I remember correct, the 2005 Harley was the first truck with the key fob, and 2007 or so it became standard in all the trucks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rowe,
Thats just not true I have had 3 02 trucks that all had key fobs. 2 of them were bought new from the factory.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Rowe,
Thats just not true I have had 3 02 trucks that all had key fobs. 2 of them were bought new from the factory.
:poke:

Haha you're right. Don't know where my mind was earlier. I was referring to PATS on our trucks, I have no clue how what I was thinking when I typed that earlier. You can point and laugh if you want :confused:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
eh honest mistake. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts