Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forums and am a new owner of a '99 F350 with a 7.3 and ZF6. Bought the truck cheap with a locked rear axle and after replacing that I found out 6th gear is unfortunately out. No grinding and the detent felt ok, but it just didn't engage.

A buddy and I pull the beast of a trans out and I got the rear cover off to do some investigation. Was hoping it was just the shift fork but it seems to be ok:

Disengaged:

Engaged:

The countershaft gear did look a little funky, however:

Not sure what to make of that. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was looking everything else over and I noticed the detent ball is a little chewed up:

The holes in the lever look funky to me too but they may just be made that way:

When I was checking the shifting I had the cover off and the detent plug/ball off, wondering if with it installed it's getting hung up and not engaging 6th gear...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke with a friend who has quite a bit of automotive experience and he said the damaged detent ball could definitely affect shifting so I ordered a new main detent (the threaded plug) and plunger/ball assembly, hopefully this will be a <$100 fix!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Detent didn't fix it unfortunately, thinking it's time to cut my losses and sell the truck...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
a reman tranny is about 16-1700 on ebay with an exchange. Or, while you have it out and apart, bring it to a tranny shop and see what they can tell you for a repair cost, since most of the cost in estimating is the removal, which you already did

1 - 5 of 5 Posts