Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my baby to the track for the first time yesterday, I am thrilled with the results, especially edging out a dmax that was there.

My question is about nitrous jets and hp ratings, I had in a .102 jet, and people are telling me that's like a 300hp shot. Any idea on how that converts to diesel engines?

I ran a 13.6 @ 99 with some traction issues.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
With your fuel and turbo you are running, you aren't leaving much extra unburnt fuel for the nitrous to assist in burning. If you had a gross amount of smoke left over, the nitrous would have had a much more profound effect

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I could go to a smaller jet and have the same effect, since I dont have that much fuel?

So the hp nitrous numbers really dont apply to diesels

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Most likely. You can step down in size until you feel a loss in power than step up one. Or take those injectors out and put a 200% nozzle on it and shave that number to 12.xx

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is what I want. To at least hit 12s. I've got to put in studs, then I'm gonna play with injectors again

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Valve springs, head studs and pushrods are next on yout list in that case, and can be done cab-on with engine in the truck if you are mechanically inclined. If you're on a budget swapping nozzles will be cheaper, however with a 200cc total capacity injector you might not have enough fuel for 12's. Not enough people with that injector combo to clearly tell. Your best bet would be to sell the injectors how they are to someone who is in the market for 200/30's and buy a different set of 250/200's growing in popularity in the past year or so

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have springs and push rods, I just need the time to do studs. I am not so keen on the 200 nozzle, as I still tow a bit. You think 12s is attainable with like a 250/100?

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
The tuner of my preference despises the 100% nozzle as he claims they are dirty (smokey) due to excessive extrudehone work. 80% nozzles are the same nozzle however to make it a 100% more work is required and he doesn't like how they are much harder to be smoke free. However with my 250/80's im damn near a 13.0 at 7700lbs if I can get to the track again. Smoke free, impossible for me to 'smoke someone out' even if I tried. I like how it runs efficient without all the smoke and I can dart onto a highway without a smoke trail. I think with the nitrous you spray on my setup, its a solid 12.9 truck at least

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like that, I am so over the smoke thing. What turbo are your running? I will prolly do the 250/80 and spray it.

Who is your tuner, pm if you don't wanna say

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
I am running a s366 (same compressor inducer as your 38r) with a .91 turbine housing with an external wastegate. I think you'll be fine with the 38r and stock 1.0 turbine housing as long as you modify the turbine housing by cutting a hole in the divider to let the wastegate equalize both sides of the engine to prevent the turbo from overspeeding. You will be right at the upper limit of the 38r at that power level especially with nitrous however if you wont be looking for more hp later on down the road it should be fine. Matt r (gearhead) is tuning my truck- its nothing special just mail order tuning but he's got it damn close how it is right now and im so hesitant to change it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard alot of good about his, and possibly want to try him. I am real happy with Cale's tuning I have right now

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just watched the video, you can tell when I hit the button, smoke is all gone

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a cell phone video, so you can't really hear, but it would appear to be 2nd gear. As soon as I dropped the hammer I mashed the button

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Go with a 200% nozzle and NEVER look back.

A good tuner can make them run near stock. But with the flip of a switch either a tow monster or a track monster.

With regards to your jet size. Too big will be bad as it will in sense "flood" the truck and stall it at worst.

Like Junkie said go in one direction of jet sizes until you feel like it lost over the last size and then go back to it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a little concerned that a 200% nozzle is going to be too much for my turbo?

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Pull fuel back, and wastegate properly.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Go with the 80% nozzle. I am still not convinced you can get a 200% injector to run how my 80% does (because it's just what the OP wants to a T) until someone can show me first hand. I have been in a few trucks with 200% nozzles and said "awesome tuning" and it's not what it's claimed to be from what i see.

Yes it will be too much fuel for the turbo, ONLY in the settings that shine over the 80% nozzle 's maximum power setting(500+hp settings) where the truck will run smokey and hot due to lack of efficiency from the turbo. If you are going to a 200% nozzle injector IMO you need something more than a 38r. From what im gathering, he isnt interested in changing that.

Keep in mind that the OP is running a ~400hp setup as it is-- him adding 25% more power (going from 200/30 to 250/80)will feel unreal to him, his goal is ~500hp, not 600 so if he only wants 500hp, there's really no need for the 200% especially if he tows anything decent from time to time.

All this, just my uneducated IDE opinion, so take it with a grain of salt

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Good way to look at it.

Im just sold on the 200% nozzle myself. Personally I would slap a set of 238/200s and let it eat.

That 38r would be a solid 520HP with good tuning. At the same time could be tuned for a solid 425-450. And leave more fuel left over for nitrous then a 250/80.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go with the 80% nozzle. I am still not convinced you can get a 200% injector to run how my 80% does (because it's just what the OP wants to a T) until someone can show me first hand. I have been in a few trucks with 200% nozzles and said "awesome tuning" and it's not what it's claimed to be from what i see.

Yes it will be too much fuel for the turbo, ONLY in the settings that shine over the 80% nozzle 's maximum power setting(500+hp settings) where the truck will run smokey and hot due to lack of efficiency from the turbo. If you are going to a 200% nozzle injector IMO you need something more than a 38r. From what im gathering, he isnt interested in changing that.

Keep in mind that the OP is running a ~400hp setup as it is-- him adding 25% more power (going from 200/30 to 250/80)will feel unreal to him, his goal is ~500hp, not 600 so if he only wants 500hp, there's really no need for the 200% especially if he tows anything decent from time to time.

All this, just my uneducated IDE opinion, so take it with a grain of salt

I think you pretty much hit it right on the head there. I don't have the time to work on this thing like I did when I was in high school, so I don't really want to start playing with turbos. And yes I tow a bit. 12k boat on weekends, mini excavators, trenchers. The last thing I want is this new problem of fighting egts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts