Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? I was thinking that it would tint them but you would still be able to see them if you just barely did a coat or two. What do yall think?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think it's duplicolor that makes something similar that is for things other than tails. It's marketed as black chrome or something if that's what you're going after.

If you're interested in decals that would make the blue black on your emblems but leave the chrome, pm me and I can give you contact info for the company I used to work for. If you can see in my avatar, mine are white and chrome.

·
DUTY
132 Posts
holy god, you changed your avatar....truck looks waay better!
back on topic, i considered tinting mine when i did my grille, i did one coat but it completely blacked out the words "ford". took it off and left it blue, I did do the chrome around the emblem black with plasti dip.

so id say experiment, if you could do it light enough it will work

·
Stock Sucks!
330 Posts
i did it once has a slight purple tint but not bad, better to just paint over them

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
holy god, you changed your avatar....truck looks waay better!
back on topic, i considered tinting mine when i did my grille, i did one coat but it completely blacked out the words "ford". took it off and left it blue, I did do the chrome around the emblem black with plasti dip.

so id say experiment, if you could do it light enough it will work
Lol thanks.

And thanks for the coments so far everyone.

·
Diesel390
225 Posts
I used the nightshade on my emblem as well. Looks good, very dark and glossy but you won't be able to see the letters. Even if you do a thin coat it will have purple tinge. If you do use it make sure you wet sand it with 600 first until every bit of shiny spot is gone. Otherwise she will peel in no time. I did it twice, first just half fast sand job and maybe 4 coats but after a few bugs hit it, the paint would peel. Second was a thorough wet sanding and probably 6 coats to make sure it wouldn't happen again. No issues after that. On blacked out trucks with FX4 grilles it looks pretty sweet IMO.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I want a grill and a bumper bad.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Has anyone done this? I was thinking that it would tint them but you would still be able to see them if you just barely did a coat or two. What do yall think?

I was the one who did my emblems with Nightshade.

The only reason I did it was because it was the only black paint I had laying around the garage, and since I had things torn apart it was just easier to use what I had.

The paint has held up fine but I don't do a ton of driving. For a truck that gets a lot of use, I would look for better paint just to be on the safe side or TripleE44's emblem stickers. I also purchased some of those but like an idiot I bought them with chrome lettering instead of black. So they're still sitting in their original envelope.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice. How did u get your tails so shiny? I cleard mine and they dont look as good. And what would you want for the decals?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Very nice. How did u get your tails so shiny? I cleard mine and they dont look as good. And what would you want for the decals?
I didn't do anything special to the tails. 3-4 coats of Nightshades and the same number of clear.

I think I had just washed my truck in that pic so that might be why they're shiny.

Well my decals are silver with chrome lettering so I don't think you'd want them. TripleE44 didn't charge very much for them though. You may want to hit him up.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not making them anymore. I already sent him the info on how to get them from the company I was working for. When I did it I was just doing it to help people out with some cool decals. Now, they're trying to make $$ and it's reflected in the price.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not making them anymore. I already sent him the info on how to get them from the company I was working for. When I did it I was just doing it to help people out with some cool decals. Now, they're trying to make $$ and it's reflected in the price.

Whoops, my bad.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea ima give them a call on monday. They cant be that much.

·
Registered
649 Posts
derrick36: 3-4 coats of nightshades wasnt too dark? I did 2 coats and it seems a bit dark for daytime braking...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have werid idea to do the same thing, if anyone thinks it stupid feels free to say it lol. I was thinking out using a small tube of silicon to trace out the ford letters, then paint it, peels back the silicon and shoot it with clear. All ready bought the VHT niteshades, just some spare time. Anyone think this might work???

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have werid idea to do the same thing, if anyone thinks it stupid feels free to say it lol. I was thinking out using a small tube of silicon to trace out the ford letters, then paint it, peels back the silicon and shoot it with clear. All ready bought the VHT niteshades, just some spare time. Anyone think this might work???
I think its going to be real hard to get the silicone just right.............:peeman:

·
401 Posts
I would use masking tape and cut out the letters.
i see the silicone screwing up the edges of the paint.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I figured by using the smaller tubes and cut the tip smaller just enough to trace the emblem lol, I'll try tape first and see how close I can get

·
Stock Sucks!
330 Posts
thats gonna be super difficult but good luck go for it

·
Gambled and Lost 6.oh
927 Posts
I havent tried it yet, but going to give it a whirl, apparently you can head up your ford emblems and peel them apart, revealing the blue, paint it black then reseal with epoxy..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts