Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the site and to Powerstrokes. I have an 08 F450 4x4. I love it but have never been able to live with a stock vehicle plus, as I am sure you all know it likes the fuel! I am ordering a Spartan tuner, down pipe, CSI tube, turbo back exhaust, and an AFE stage 2 Si as I type this. I am wondering where to spend what money I have left in my budget. I will be towing both equipment (about 10-12k lbs) and a 15k lb 5er semi regularly so reliability is my first priority. What are you all's thoughts on the next steps? What would your priorities be? My thoughts include intercooler, airdog, tow power atmosphere turbo.

I appreciate the input.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Turbo to get more air def good idea. Head studs and egr delete with wastegate also a good investment

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I would do an EGR cooler delete with an intake elbow and an intercooler for sure. You won't need a wastegate unless you add extra fuel. The Elite tow power atmosphere upgrade is an awesome option as well. I have one ordered for my truck. Can't wait to get it on the truck. Ready to see that EGT reduction and less smoke!

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Isn't the spartan going to be adding more fuel to need a wastgate?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the Spartan shut off the EGR, if that is the case what is the additional benefit of removing it? Forgive me if this is obvious but I am learning on the fly here.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Isn't the spartan going to be adding more fuel to need a wastgate?
You don't need a wastegate with stock turbo's unless you go to bigger than stock fuel (injector nozzles and HPFP) or spray nitrous. Back pressure is not a big enough issue with big tunes and stock turbos to need a wastegate. Back pressure at peak boost is almost a perfect 1:1 ratio.....even with the drop in batmowheels and the Elite Tow Power atmosphere.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I thought the Spartan shut off the EGR, if that is the case what is the additional benefit of removing it? Forgive me if this is obvious but I am learning on the fly here.

Thanks,
You can shut the EGR valve off with the Phalanx. However, just shutting it off doesn't give you the same advantages of a full delete. Removing the EGR coolers gives you an increase in reliability. If there are no EGR coolers on the truck then there is no chance of an EGR cooler busting and leaking coolant into your intake manifold.....and beyond.

·
Registered
618 Posts
spartan tunes will shut it off except at idle, but it still has coolant going through the coolers so therefor still able to fail. removing it will eliminate that problem and make it more reliable, putting a new intake elbow on it will actually remove the egr valve to make it flow more freely.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
spartan tunes will shut it off except at idle, but it still has coolant going through the coolers so therefor still able to fail. removing it will eliminate that problem and make it more reliable, putting a new intake elbow on it will actually remove the egr valve to make it flow more freely.
The only tunes that cycle the valve at idle are the regular 210, 210 TP, and 250 tunes. The regular 175 and lower tunes will cycle the valve like a bone stock truck does. The 275, 300, 310, and 350 tunes are EGR delete tunes. You also have EGR delete tunes from 40 HP up to 250 HP. Those can be ran with or without an EGR delete. However, running them without an EGR delete will eventually cause the EGR valve to stick shut.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. That makes sense. I am looking at the delete kit from Rudy's right now and am ordering their down pipe and CAC pipe. Any experience with CFM elbow or flow pro / dirty diesel elbow?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I ordered the combo, it doesn't say if it comes with the boots. Will the OEM boots work? Now I am just waiting for everything to get here so the fun can begin. I am still thinking about the turbo and intercooler. What kind of benefits do you guys think will come from just the intercooler if I wait on the turbo?

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
That kit should come with boots and clamps.

As for doing just doing the intercooler, you should see a little more boost and lower EGT's. I still have the stock intercooler, so I can't say for sure what the decrease in EGT's will be. I would assume 100-150 degrees at WOT is likely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.