Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when it seems that what "WE" thought of as fun and entertaining would fall to the wayside of computer games and music you stumble on small examples of why "the need for speed" will never go the way of disco. While sitting indoors today watching the temp steadily drop outside I sat behind my 11 year old son to watch him play Mario Cart on his... whatever they're called... Ipod, nintendo handheld WTH??? I watched as he skillfully cut the apexes through a slalom stretch of the course.
"Nice cut" I say.
"What?"
"The turn, you know, nice cuttoff"

He turns and looks me right in the eye and says. "How else would I do it?"
I just smiled back and shook my head thinking that would have been my response to my old man at that age as well. Either way it made me happy, not as happy as when it was confermed that he likes girls but happy. :D

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
My best friends little cousin is one of the top racers in CA and he doesnt even have his drivers license yet. WTF

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
My best friends little cousin is one of the top racers in CA and he doesnt even have his drivers license yet. WTF
Im a tech inspector at Humboldt Speedway (my avatar) and you'd be surprised at some of the younger kids that come in and whoop up on the ol' timers. In our B-mod class the top three in points last year were all younger than 18. They are getting better and better as the years go on.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've done some of my best driving baked outa my skull on Nentendo 64 mario cart LOL.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
Im a tech inspector at Humboldt Speedway (my avatar) and you'd be surprised at some of the younger kids that come in and whoop up on the ol' timers. In our B-mod class the top three in points last year were all younger than 18. They are getting better and better as the years go on.
Yeah I think part of thats called young and fearless, couple that with the fact they don't have a family they have to worry about going to work for on monday to support, and you have a pretty lethal driver:D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I remember watching a race on TV and a 14 year old kid had got the pole in the World of outlaws latemodels.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D thats cute.... Just wait till he gets his hands on the wheel of a high torque power machine.
Somewhere I have a pic of him standing in the seat of my race truck holding the wheel while I was letting it warm-up before a race. He still loves the smell of blue fuel!

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
Kid from our town was out racing with the big boys at age 14. They had to get all the guys say it was ok for him to race because the league has a 17yr of age to compete. I think it was 17? His dad owned one of the speed shops over here and has been racing from the age of about 4 or 5. All the guys knew he was safe and let him race. I think he he just turned 21. He is now signed to hindricks which happend at age 18. I bet you will see him in the Sprint series soon enough. His name is Landon Cassill.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
... "How else would I do it?"
I just smiled back and shook my head thinking that would have been my response to my old man at that age as well. Either way it made me happy, not as happy as when it was confermed that he likes girls but happy. :D
Just wait until he gets his drivers license LOL

He might be a bit old now but how about getting him into racing carts.

Or he is about the right age for Junior Dragsters.... :D

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wait until he gets his drivers license LOL

He might be a bit old now but how about getting him into racing carts.

Or he is about the right age for Junior Dragsters.... :D

He's already asking me if you can "hop-up" antique yellow and white tractors. I've suggested red or green but he really likes the looks of the minnie-mo's. Maybe he'll want more power by the time he turns 16 andi can talk him into a minniapolis moline with a couple force fed 604's:evil

·
All Talk, No Walk?
2,358 Posts
Kid from our town was out racing with the big boys at age 14. They had to get all the guys say it was ok for him to race because the league has a 17yr of age to compete. I think it was 17? His dad owned one of the speed shops over here and has been racing from the age of about 4 or 5. All the guys knew he was safe and let him race. I think he he just turned 21. He is now signed to hindricks which happend at age 18. I bet you will see him in the Sprint series soon enough. His name is Landon Cassill.
I remember when Landon used to race go-karts up at Delaware. My brothers friends raced up there against him religiously. Landon had all the best equipment money could buy, and still couldn't win. I don't think he ever won hardly when he started racing at Hawkeye Downs? But his old man moved him into the bigger and bigger series to get him recognized. Not saying he couldn't drive, or doesn't have talent. It just goes to show that whoever has the most money will get noticed quicker. You could be the best driver in the world, but when all you can afford is a geo metro to race late models, you will never get noticed because you'll always be in the back. Now on dirt you can do more with less because its more driver than car. But get on asphalt, and you'll never have a chance.

That's how Tony Stewart got noticed way back when. His folks mortgaged their house to fund his go-kart racing career. Then he got noticed and moved up to midgets and on up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts