Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 60 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
read the very first post in this thread.

then get a ball park idea of how much hp your after. this does not have to be set in stone target number, just somewhere to start. stock your at approx 200 +/-

then you need a idea of what you have for a budget for this adventure.

then ask that question again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is what I want...

As much power as I can get. Ideas on a good turbo/injector.

Truck will have:
Stock engine (for now at least)
Afe intake
Adrinaline
TW 6 pos chip
Gauges
Exhaust (down pipe back for now)
I swapped in a 6 speed but will likely put the auto back in after taking it up the road to BTS.

I'm willing to start out with minor engine mods like fire rings and ARP studs, etc.

What I want out of it when finished:

Ability to tow whatever whenever. (it's 2wd, drw 2001 F350)
As much power is I can reasonably run and still be driveable.
Willing to TT or even SC since that is going around these days. Whatever is most reliable DD, towing, and keeping up with new trucks...

Will I be able to get all that without more engine mods?
I know that more power is possible these days due to better tuning and more $$$ for the RIGHT parts... Is more than 500 hp possible if I am not out pulling sleds, etc?

I've been reading up online for a while now... Looking at maybe S467FMW and mount from irate... This might be more than I need?

Ideas welcome... Message me if you want or don't think replies are good for this newbie thread.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
you need to pick a hp goal. dont matter if it changes in the course of things or not, you need to pick a number.

you then need to decide on a budget. if your goin for 500, its not cheap on a 7.3. you goin to start at around 4k. depending on what you get for deals, did you get some used parts, or are they all new.

if your goin to the extent of putting in fire rings, that involves removing the motor and sending it to a machine shop for machine work. if you go that far, a full build is not to far away.

Whatever is most reliable DD, towing, and keeping up with new trucks...

you can have first two of those three things reasonably cheaply. the third will cost some green.

go to the first page of this thread. now do paragraphs 2-7. these need to be done before you can reasonably do anything else to your truck. if not your spinning your wheels and making no progress that will not need to be redone when you melt/break/shear/or otherwise mess something up.

paragraphs 8-12 are the final step. these are the paragraphs that will end up determining your end hp.

if you simply aiming for 500, a set of 238/80, 38r, studs, springs, and tunes, and gear head had that at or just shy of 500. was pushing the limits of the combo, but very responsive street manners.

oh, and use the search button. there are so many "how do i hit 500 hp" threads in here, it gets old replying to them.

call a few sponsers and ask them also. all of them will take the time to talk to you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me rephrase for you...

In TODAY'S tech, what will give me the most power and reliability LONG TERM in my situation? WITHOUT having to pull the engine?

In TODAY'S tech, what can the engine handle and WHY/WHY NOT?

These are questions that new people might have...

There ARE people here that have pushed limits AND people here that have tried many things that have been successful and/or failed...

Is it better to have twins? Can I get more power with less stress on the engine? Is adding a SC as good as the few doing it say?

I want my truck to live happily for a long time. Not planning on changing things all the time.

If calling people is necessary then what is this and other forums for? Helping others or flexing your internet muscle?

Side note, I don't usually say much here. Just READ... Notice how long I've been around? I've been reading for a while now, I know how to search but thanks for your concern... As to your getting tired of answering question, what is the point of THIS THREAD??? It's here to get the attention of the new people right? If you are tired of it then don't do it. Answer the question asked or STFU!

Now I'll go back to being my usual quiet self... :gun:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
well then you should see if you have pmr or forged rods..
Unless your lucky like born with four rabbits feet and four leaf clovers for ears.
A pmr truck will die a horrible death at that level.

Forged rods ,arp or h11s studded one at a time on a seasoned gasket, girdled before fire rings if it was me, with 238-250 injectors, adrenaline/t500/dual whatever hpop, an irate mount and a gqssb or s-type turbo, dual stock fuel pumps,reg return, and a southbend clutch or bts

You good for 500++ depending on tunes

Id add a procharger with the gqssb if i could afford it
Other then water injection, airbags, helwig antisway bars, and traction bars id be done modding.

Ok after the fluidamper, coolant filter, and di headers then id be done...lol

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Ideally i'd clone thuggy s ride...
Vanderchevy is got a decent build as well

I'd guess vander to be 57o plus...no girdle and forged rods
Thuggy is set to 7oo maybe more....billet rods and girdle.
Marty has a pretty good set up too but forgot specs. 6oo ish on stock block iirc

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hey my ET and trap time put me at 590-595! Lol!

If you just want a reliable daily driver that keeps up with new trucks, I would go with 250/100's, T4 mount with an s467, studs, springs, rods, exhaust, intake, fuel system, srp-1, gauges, trans, and custom tunes. That should make for a very reliable 500+ hp tow/daily driver/fun truck.

Irate can hook you up with all that and save you money doing it.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
you could have bts or tyrant do you somethin up, or you really aint that far from beans or swamps either. i think the 250/100, s467 or gqssb, sp1 seems like a solid setup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BTS will be doing the Trans since he is close. Is the adrenaline HPOP gonna be good enough for those injectors? Already have one sitting here new in the box...

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Call bob and ask he is a straight shooter.
Imho it should depending on nozzle size,
but talk to the man that makes them.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Woops good call forgot about springs and pushrods on that list

·
Registered
26 Posts
can you return it?

I doubt it... Ive had it for 2 years in the box do to time away with uncle Sam and my Trans swap...

I am thinking I could l:

Install the turbo I planned
Run the suggest injectors with 200% nozzles
Run the adrenaline
Run a good fuel system and RR
Studs, rods, springs
Get live tuned by a good tuner(which one?)
Keep it driveable until I get a short block ready?

If it is tuned right and I am not hard on it will the (likely) PMR rods live for a little while or not install ANYTHING until I have better rods?

I'm thinking about looking into different HPOP options...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
its pretty simple.

400 bucks to spend - Page 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

post #16 is a standard parts list. the only thing missing is entirely dependent on how much fuel system you end up doin. what missing is how you attach to your existing fuel system.

Driven Diesel 7.3L Standard Regulated Return Kit

this is a premade kit, keeping your existing fuel bowl.

i got all my parts, excluding the regulator, for around $250-275. i get a discount at a hydraulic shop also, though. all AN fittings, are the exact same as JIC fittings. jic are standard hydraulic fittings. they are also steel, where AN are aluminum.

if you use the jic, make sure to anti-seize them, or they will corrode together, just like anything steel.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
This is a great addition to the site

·
Registered
20 Posts
just recently got a 95 ext cab long bed. 2 tank truck.
It already has a superchips programmer, which i will be taking off, maybe a small shift kit, and a trans cooler. I will be pulling a good bit but it will also be a dd. On a small budget what can i do? i know the basics. full exhaust intake and tune. now i've heard about this diy intake where can i find the specs on this. also i've read about some other things " don't know if they are true or not and if they would be worth doing" you guys tell me. running a 6.0 intercooler? whats this zodad mad? and what aout shimming the fpr? are there any other simple mods like these to just add a wee bit to the truck? and about this regulated fuel return system yall were talking about. would i have to do this to both tanks? any way to make it dump the hot fuel in the tank not being used, or just put a cooler on it and dont worry. yall sugest the what to do's. thanks jesse

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Obs section might be better, not sure about thr reg return line ad you badsucslly want it returning to the tank your on

41 - 60 of 155 Posts