Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this Forum and just bought my first Powerstroke, hopefully someone can give me some good advice....it's a 1996 and has 220,000 on it and fires right up and runs great when plugged in, I checked the Glow Plug Relay and it appears to be working, unplugged the harness from the Valve Covers and I have Power to the end of each Harness, yet when I put a Test Light hooked to the"Positive Side" of the battery and touch the actual Glow Plug Pin's mounted on the actual Gasket I get no light ? This happens on both valve covers and shouldn't I at least get continuity due to the Glow Plugs be naturally grounded to the Block or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks....Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed,

I would try the same test with an ohm meter. I would hazard that the glow plugs are all burned out.

Cj
Thanks CJ....Without opening the valve covers, I was thinking that either both gaskets have faults or are fried and might as well replace gaskets and all of the Glow Plugs, was just hoping for a Miracle !

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ed,

I would go find a decent ohm/volt meter (this will pay off) and retest... the glow plugs have pretty low resistance so the light tester should work... If the gaskets were faulty (burned) then I would expect you to report visually melted wires and a poorly running truck. As your truck runs fine, (when plugged in) I lean more to dead glow plugs. Pull the covers and retest the glow plugs directly

Cj

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Get a DVOM (even a cheap Harbor Freight unit will work). Here are some tests that I use:

For checking the injector/glowplug wiring: From each valvecover gasket connection's outermost pins (2 per connector) to ground you should get 0.1 to 2 ohms (indicates good plug and wiring). From each valvecover gasket connection's center pin to each immediately adjacent pin, you should get around 3 ohms (indicates good injector solenoid and wiring). You should not get any continuity from any of the outer pins to the 3 inner pins (indicates no shorts between injector and glowplug wiring). You should also get 0 to 1 ohms from each of the external harness connectors outer pins back to the Glowplug Relay's large terminal on the GP side (indicates good wiring from external connections back to the relay).

To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). This measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay. Also, check the relay’s control wires (smaller wires) disconnected from the relay for battery voltage at the Red/Light Green striped wire and ground at the Purple/Orange striped wire (check both when the key is turned to Wait-to-Start).

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts