Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an AFE stage 2 intake, MBRP 4" ss turbo back exhaust and a ts 6 position chip from Matt Robinson at gearhead automotive performance. I'm gunna be getting a boost gauge and egt gauge. Is there anything else I should get with this setup? I'm not looking to make a ton of power. And most of all I want to protect my truck as much as possible. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Trans temp guage if it's an auto.
ask your boss for some more overtime
VB and TC if it's an auto.
adrenaline, t500, or stealth hpop
fuel system
then turbo and injectors.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VB TC? There's already a stock trans temp gauge. Would an aftermarket one be better? And would hpop be necessary with stock injectors? I'm not really wanting to change em. I was also thinking about getting a fuel rail crossover.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The Adrenaline will help with stock inj especially if you go with some tunes. It helped mine a lot. Read my sig and I tow heavy and keep up with everyone.

gauges= pyro, boost, trans, and scangauge if you have the cash, it will monitor everything the pcm see's.

If you don't have the gauges don't do the mods. You will be rolling the dice.

Valve body, torque conv to save the trans.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise. With the gauges, what should I be watching for? What temp and boost = destruction? Haha

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Your gonna have to watch yout EGTS,s 1250 for 30 seconds is pretty much the limit. People have been known to run at that temp and not have any problems. The factory trans gauge is worthless, kinda like the idiot light, I mean oil pressure gauge, LOL. A stock turbo will be ok up to 25 30 lbs, but you,ll have surge before you get that far in your higher HP tunes. Should run good though once you get it all together.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Everyone get's scared @ 1200-1250 on the egt's. I have kept mine @ 1350 or so for 8-9 miles on 6% for several yrs now with the orig turbo without issues.

Here in this climate it's difficult to keep them down towing heavy on these grades when the temp is over 100*

Oil temp keep it under 220-230. Run syn oil.

coolant? if a 7.3 overheats you have a problem. They are known for a very good cooling system.

Trans temp 210 or so, not much over that

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks guys.
If there's anything else, please let me know.

Does anyone have any suggestions on lifts? Im thinking 6". Don't want to spend a #### load of money but I also don't want crap.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If you are gonna lift it and put big tires on it do that before tunes if you intend to tow with it. It will make a difference how the tuner tunes it.

Remember, big tires without a gear change will kill your towing ability.

How I know?? My friends have lifts and tires and I am stock and work those guys pretty hard. One of them has a spare set of wheels with stock dia tires he puts on for towing.
A leveling kit is ok. I have one on mine. 2"

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
To be completely honest with you...I had a 6.5" ProComp lift with 35's on my truck for about a year. I bought the truck bone stock, lifted it, then tuned it..lifted, it handled the loads better than it did at stock height. I'm back at stock height again with a leveling kit on the front, and really miss the lift when pulling a big bumper pull. Towing "ability" wise, I noticed a little difference, not a huge one when I dropped it, of course, I'm running a 305/60/18 all terrain tire now, which is roughly 33" tall. I have Matt's tunes, intake, and 4" MBRP turbo back, and the truck pulls whatever I put behind it...a 32' triple axle gooseneck loaded with kill cows, I grossed 33k lbs, and it pulled it at 70 if I wanted it to, and on flats, I had to use cruise due to the fact it would tow it faster than that if I didn't pay attention!

I've pulled my enclosed car trailer all over, through Nevada, Utah, down 89 out of Utah into Arizona, all over California etc., and never once wished I had a decel tune. Learn how to drive the damn thing when towing, and you'll never need it. Any kind of aid in slowing or holding speed going downhill can be nice, but you NEVER depend on it, use your head, and a slower speed in a lower gear...(marked 60, start down it at 50 or so, and scrub off speed with your foot brakes when you hit 56-57 moh...a steady but quick scrub..don't drag them and get them hot).

Your stock hpop will be fine, mine has 273k miles on it, and it's needing replaced, but it still runs fine. Stock trans lasted 250k miles, knocked the reverse boost valve out of it, so I had a reason to upgrade. Use your head, don't drive like a 15 year old in a stolen car and it'll last you for a good while. On the trans temp...I saw 220 degrees on my autometer trans gauge out in Cali on my stock transmission in a slow speed/steep hill area where I couldn't get the converter to lock up, and my factory gauge was just starting to move..so, NO don't trust your stock gauge for anything other than a space filler for an otherwise awkward looking empty space on your dash.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I know how to drive the damn thing thank you what I am saying is I'll get more life out of the brakes and an added safety feature also.

I don't need anyone to tell me how to drive. I have owned a trucking business and have been in const & heavy haul for maybe as long as you have been alive. I got my first commercial drivers liscense in 1970. How about you??

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Just because a guy has done it for 40 years, doesn't mean he knows what he is doing. I've been an owner operator for united and atlas van lines doing hhg moving, I've done oversize, flat, step, reefer, tanker, hoppers, end dumps, cattle, and even exotic cars and custom bikes. You're not impressing anybody with how long you've been doing it.

Secondly, I wasn't aiming that comment at you stupid fuk, I was aiming it at the op...that if he knows how to drive it, he won't need it. All you do is ramble on about how your dp tuned truck is just so badass at towing, making it sound like if it's not yours, it may as well be a half ton gasser.

A lift won't kill a guys towing capacity, and unless he is running 40's, there is no need to regear. 35's will do just fine with stock gears, I've ran both, so experience > what your "friend has, and how your stock tire 2 wheel drive does against it".

Not to mention, if you had a decel file, it would more than likely be written by dp tuner, which would limit you to who could write you files down the road to like...them, and only them.

The man has his chip already, tunes are from Matt Robinson @ Gearhead Automotive...learn to read, and quit trying to feed people full of your useless garble, you're almost as bad as pappy19 was.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Your handle "AL MIGHTY" says it all. You're the pro and everyone else is stupid, is that your attitude?? You can't put enough bed bugs in a trailer to get good traction in the rain. WTH do you think? you have all the right answers?

I'm not going to get down to your level arguing with you. You win. You are just a youngster that has done everything and an expert at all of it. I can't compete with all your BS.

I see you have quite a lot of posts, 500. Man you have been around for a while. It's all yours.

I apologize to the op for mucking up your thread.

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
It doesn't take a lot when my lightweight was 47k lbs! 5 well packed crates of Mediterranean bedbugs would give me just enough traction ;). You started the pissing match and derail, and now you're quitting...

500 posts, I'm actually shocked, I spend most of my time on the mustang forums, most of the people on these boards make my head hurt. Car forums don't seem as wound tight as the diesel guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts