Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

When a Tranny is slipping, is it better to buy a brand new one, or send current one out for rebuild?

• Buy a Brand New one

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am going to be getting a 2003 7.3L Powerstroke this Saturday, and I'm no diesel mechanic by any means whatsoever, however, my dad is pretty good at working on cars/trucks, BUT they are gasoline. No shame, but I've been wanting to get a diesel truck, since like probably birth, I have attached the truck that I am going to be getting, the only problem with the truck is that the transmission is slipping, which we already planned to get it sent out for re-work, insteading of buying a brand new one. (Also, even though my dad hasn't worked with diesel pickup trucks, he does have a 2017 6.7L powerstroke, but if there was anything wrong with the truck he would typically send it to ford, as diesel parts are expensive and he wants whatever mistakes happen, to be done with Ford, as they can fix the problem that they created right then and there.)
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Granted, this truck is obviously a used truck, so, there might be a few problems with the engine, is there any noises/obvious problems that should be looked at before adding anything new to the engine that I should be aware of?

I'm happy to be apart of this group and definitely looking forward to learning some new things when I get my new (older) truck!! Also, there will be many changes coming to this truck and I am so excited to see the progress of this truck unfold. 馃槉馃槉馃槉馃槉

Registered
Howdy and welcome aboard!
How many miles on your new truck?
Another member here was recently having difficulty getting her transmission rebuilt because of parts availability, you might want to make a few inquiries before committing to a reman. Check out a couple threads here in the build section started by @Jax , you'll get familiar in no time!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy and welcome aboard!
How many miles on your new truck?
Another member here was recently having difficulty getting her transmission rebuilt because of parts availability, you might want to make a few inquiries before committing to a reman. Check out a couple threads here in the build section started by @Jax , you'll get familiar in no time!

There are 282k miles on the truck, I'm buying it off of someone on Facebook Marketplace... my dad will be helping me with the project. This would officially be my first project vehicle, and my dad will be there to help me out with it all. 馃槉

Registered
Congratulations and welcome, 282 isn't terrible, going to be some maintenance/wear things to check out, personally when looking to buy one the first thing I look at is the air cleaner, look for a good filter, no dirt in the intake, and no damage to the intake side of the turbo. 7.3's don't like dirt. ( If it has a re-usable k&n type I walk away.) Other than that it's mostly just maintenance 20 year old truck stuff.

Here's a link to a thread I think you should check out, if you get the truck start one for yourself too!
[/URL]

Jax' 00 F350 7.3L Truck rebuild . . . .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations and welcome, 282 isn't terrible, going to be some maintenance/wear things to check out, personally when looking to buy one the first thing I look at is the air cleaner, look for a good filter, no dirt in the intake, and no damage to the intake side of the turbo. 7.3's don't like dirt. ( If it has a re-usable k&n type I walk away.) Other than that it's mostly just maintenance 20 year old truck stuff.

Here's a link to a thread I think you should check out, if you get the truck start one for yourself too!
[/URL]

Jax' 00 F350 7.3L Truck rebuild . . . .

Thank you! I will definitely be checking that thread out! :)

Registered
Good, Jax is a real sweetie and went from no powerstroke to building a 99 out of buckets of parts, the 00 is the one she's working on now, both threads are worth reading, you'll know what you are looking at in short order.

Registered
When you go check out the truck, make sure the engine is cold so you can see how it reacts to a cold start. Tell the seller you want the engine to be cold when you get there, and then pop the hood to verify it is cold. If it has any starting problems, the owner is going to try to warm the truck up before you get there so that it will start easy while you're there.
Bring a ping pong ball to check for blowby by placing the ball where the oil fill cap goes.
Also, look at the bottom of the oil fill cap, it should just be oily and not have any white stuff on it (burning coolant).
Check the oil level and color to make sure it looks normal.
Check coolant bottle for signs of oil.
Slide under the truck and check for oil leaks, not that you'll not buy it if it has leaks but more so that you're aware that they exist so you can keep an eye on it.
Check the frame for any structural rust problems. Lower the spare tire to better check the frame in that area.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you go check out the truck, make sure the engine is cold so you can see how it reacts to a cold start. Tell the seller you want the engine to be cold when you get there, and then pop the hood to verify it is cold. If it has any starting problems, the owner is going to try to warm the truck up before you get there so that it will start easy while you're there.
Bring a ping pong ball to check for blowby by placing the ball where the oil fill cap goes.
Also, look at the bottom of the oil fill cap, it should just be oily and not have any white stuff on it (burning coolant).
Check the oil level and color to make sure it looks normal.
Check coolant bottle for signs of oil.
Slide under the truck and check for oil leaks, not that you'll not buy it if it has leaks but more so that you're aware that they exist so you can keep an eye on it.
Check the frame for any structural rust problems. Lower the spare tire to better check the frame in that area.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I will definitely keep these things in mind, and I'll have my dad message the guy back. We will surely be on the lookout for those items. :) Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts