Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought truck as is, was told a little cold blooded. Well it is, with injector issues I feel. I had the ficm pulled and sent in to repair and upgrade weak electronic parts, but stayed with 48 volt. Installed 2 new interstate batteries, ones in truck mismatched in size and bad. Ficm was tested bad, when I got truck by friend with code reader that is why sent off. I replaced the oil with 5w 40 syn. I added hotshot to oil. I have ordered out fuel filters, edge cts, and rev-x, and will be picking up 4 gals of prestone hd elc and MC thermostat. I have the restore to do flush along with distilled water. Ok, so I still have trouble with cold start and no power til warm, but oil and hotshot has been in for only 120 miles. With ficm rebuild made big difference in starting. With the oil change another improvement. But still, lack of power when cold and mis (lugging feel) when torqconverter locks up at 55. When I get edge cts will see what codes are on it, friend cleared original codes. The dash temp gauge (coolant) just clears the cold mark by 2 needle widths, seems low, and has green coolant in degass bottle. This is why doing flush and MC thermostat. I am hoping that the injectors will come out of it with oil change and additives. I know fuel filters are big deal with diesels to keeping up power. I have had truck for a couple of months now, and with my job taking me away from home, I have only put on a coulpe hundred miles on it. I want to make this my truck I take out on road with me, so has to be ready to go and dependable. So do ya think the oil and additives will work or will I be doing injectors.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Bought truck as is, was told a little cold blooded. Well it is, with injector issues I feel. I had the ficm pulled and sent in to repair and upgrade weak electronic parts, but stayed with 48 volt. Installed 2 new interstate batteries, ones in truck mismatched in size and bad. Ficm was tested bad, when I got truck by friend with code reader that is why sent off. I replaced the oil with 5w 40 syn. I added hotshot to oil. I have ordered out fuel filters, edge cts, and rev-x, and will be picking up 4 gals of prestone hd elc and MC thermostat. I have the restore to do flush along with distilled water. Ok, so I still have trouble with cold start and no power til warm, but oil and hotshot has been in for only 120 miles. With ficm rebuild made big difference in starting. With the oil change another improvement. But still, lack of power when cold and mis (lugging feel) when torqconverter locks up at 55. When I get edge cts will see what codes are on it, friend cleared original codes. The dash temp gauge (coolant) just clears the cold mark by 2 needle widths, seems low, and has green coolant in degass bottle. This is why doing flush and MC thermostat. I am hoping that the injectors will come out of it with oil change and additives. I know fuel filters are big deal with diesels to keeping up power. I have had truck for a couple of months now, and with my job taking me away from home, I have only put on a coulpe hundred miles on it. I want to make this my truck I take out on road with me, so has to be ready to go and dependable. So do ya think the oil and additives will work or will I be doing injectors.
Hope the injectors come around they say rev-x works better than the hot shot time will tell, when it come to the coolant is the prestone CAT EC-1 Rated if so good to go lot of guys are useing
Valvoline.com Zerex® Extended Life Antifreeze / Coolant
When you get the CTS on the deltas between ECT-EOT important max is 15* doing 60 on flat gound after 3-4min take your readings.
Next get a fuel pressure gauge under 45lbs at WOT will kill injectors should order the new reg kit because it will be low most are.
Tousley Ford Parts Depot
Need a coolant filter to remove the casting sand
2003-2007 6.0L Coolant Filtration System

Performance Machine MFG. 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Coolant Filtration System
You should check the egr valve these guys can help you with that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=QpWhH9jMayg&NR=1
Hope this helps some
2 stroker

·
Bad spark plug! No cookie
32 Posts
Good news and bad news. Good news is that it sounds like you are having a fuel pressure issue. This means curing the problem is only a blue spring in the fuel pressure regulator away. You need to get the blue spring regardless at its only $50. Bad news is youre probably very excited about your new edge programmer. Before you decide to move forward do some searches on tuners for 6.0 through out the forum. 9 out of 10 guys recommend a custom SCT. The other guy... who knows why. Do a search or two then decide for yourself.

Jesse

·
That Guy
1,264 Posts
:whs: using the cts as a monitor is a great idea, many guys run it to keep track of chit. but if you plan on using the canned tunes, like was said above, do a search...youll be much happier performance and reliability wise with an sct and custom tunes

on another note, pretty much everything 2stroker said is important; to get a good running dependable truck get a coolant filter, egr delete, custom tunes, gauges, and headsteads...then you should be a very happy camper! but thats just my .02

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Na, when I go tuned, I will run something diff.. I am replacing the fuel filters, to eliminate that. I think that the spring upgrade is going to happen. I did start truck today, pulled batteries down, ran rough for a bit then setteled down. Took off driving could only get 10 mph out of it for first 2 miles. Drove 18 miles to town and stopped at light, thought thing died because it was quiet and smooth. Still noticed the miss at 55 on way home. Oh, I went to get thermostat at ford garage they said they would have to order it.

·
That Guy
1,264 Posts
Just curious but what do you mean youll run something different when you go tuned? Sct is basically the proven leader for tuning these trucks unless you know something that no one on here knows!?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was talking about the edge line of programers. I purchased the edge insight for my gauges and scan tool. From what I have read the SCT is the way to go in programers. This truck already has some tune installed I think by the shift pattern it has.
Up date fuel milage on first tank with bad ficm and 2 glow plugs was 10 mpg. After oil change to 5w 40 syn and hotshot, 15 mpg. Still having some issue with 1 injector, I feel. 400 miles since oil change. I did the radiator flush today, water with restore came out looking like grey skim milk. The water with restore +, came out brown orange looking. Installed prestone hd elc coolant. Thermostat (motor craft) is supposed to be in at parts store tomarrow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update recieved edge insight today. delta's 138/184 at 55, and 148/192 at 65. Highest delta temp seen was 150/ 203 climbing hill on interstate. These temps after 20 to 40 miles driving. Had codes for egr postion. low circut on #3 injector and p1000 test not complete. Did pick up thermostat at parts shop it came in today, will get it installed and look in to egr valve, later.

·
That Guy
1,264 Posts
Oil Cooler could be stopped up...thats too big of a difference, shouldnt be more than 15* if i remember correctly

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I leaning that way, just need to get new thermostat installed. I see your handle is sniper. That is what my son inlaw is for army, at fortb bennen? GA. He has got 2 tours in Iraq. My daughter did 3 tours as combat medic, 2 Iraq 1 Afganistan, Army.

·
That Guy
1,264 Posts
Nice, hope the stay away from the bad stuff...i was active duty army for 5 years w 2 tours in iraq. I was stationed in alaska with 25th ID i was team leader/spotter my second tour.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have 500 miles on hot shot, still getting circuit low #3 fuel injector. Rev-X arrived today added both bottles, have 50 on it now. Wife thinks it sounds quieter after we got home than the other nights. Hope to get the fuel filters and thermostat installed tomarrow, I think wife has other plans though.

·
Bad spark plug! No cookie
32 Posts
15 degrees is right sniper. Temp difference of 15 generally indicates a clogged oil cooler. This will lead to a trickle down effect and put other parts (egr headgaskets) into jeopardy. When you install egr and oil cooler it will be worth your time to pull the intake manifold and scrub it out with purple power and a pressure washer. Dont forget to yank the the sensor that plugs into the manifold. Manifold pressure or temp i think? Anyhow you would be surprised at the garbage thats in there. Sludge. Ugly ol sludge from the egr. Hows the truck running now? Did the additive help? If not investigate adding two stroke oil to your fuel and move forward with your own findings. Try mopar1973man.com Good luck

Jesse

·
Registered
42 Posts
Update recieved edge insight today. delta's 138/184 at 55, and 148/192 at 65. Highest delta temp seen was 150/ 203 climbing hill on interstate. These temps after 20 to 40 miles driving. Had codes for egr postion. low circut on #3 injector and p1000 test not complete. Did pick up thermostat at parts shop it came in today, will get it installed and look in to egr valve, later.
Those are about similar numbers that I had before I did the BPD install. I also had a bad thermostat at the time and your oil temp is about right for now. Once you get the thermostat replaced it should bring your coolant temp around 190-194 under normal driving conditions. Your oil temps may stay the same, or they could go up due to the higher coolant temps.

My original EGR was clean as a whistle but was leaking, and the coolant that came out of my truck was clean as well. I will eventually cut open my oil cooler just to see what it looks like. I am pretty certain it is clogged which is what led to the early stages of EGR failure.

Also, be patient with the Rev-X. I spoke to one of the guys at Rev-X and was informed it kicks in with more heat cycles. So, it will eventually do it's magic getting all of the gradoo off of the injectors. I get stiction in one of my injectors until it hits operating temp. On rally cold mornings the block heater makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the rev-x and hot shot have done all they can do. truck smoothed out alot. #3 still reading low circuit #5 had a code for low circuit also for awhile but cleared code and has not came back. I have heard of the 2 stroke oil in fuel, how much do I use? I am going to try wiggling wires for 3 and see what happens.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the rev-x and hot shot have done all they can do. truck smoothed out alot. #3 still reading low circuit #5 had a code for low circuit also for awhile but cleared code and has not came back. I have heard of the 2 stroke oil in fuel, how much do I use? I am going to try wiggling wires for 3 and see what happens.
I have come to grips with the fact that Rev-X can only go so far as well. I started my journey by replacing injector 3 and it ran much better. Then, I replaced 2 and 4 all at different times. I intermittently get stiction and a code thrown from injector 7 in cold weather. I will just go ahead and replace the other five and be done with it in the near future. The interesting thing is that I have 160K on the clock and all three injectors that were removed had been replaced with reman units - chances are the rest of them are as well. They were not the Ford reman. units because that is what I replaced them with, and the replaceable parts were not the same. Injectors should not fail that quick, even the 6.0 injectors. So, I am convinced to only go with Ford units and not bother with cheaper alternatives like the PO of my truck.

If you do replace your troublesome injector, then I would recommend Tousley Ford. I purchased my last injector at the spur of the moment for $264 from my local dealer, but Tousley has them for $220.00.

If you click on the following link, it will take you to the Ford sponsored website and all you have to do is choose Tousley as your Dealer. It will give you their internet prices as well as allow you to put your VIN in the system to make sure you have the right parts - I think the link will show my vin so make sure to change it to yours. Just for kicks I chose my local dealer as my preferred dealer and there was a huge difference in prices for all parts. My dealer makes me think I am getting a good deal by cutting the retail price, but they are still way more expensive than Tousley. Tousley Ford Internet Parts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey thanks for the link. How much trouble is it to change injector #3? I did work on cars of the 60's build dates, before emmision control equip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey thanks for the link. How much trouble is it to change injector #3? I did work on cars of the 60's build dates, before emmision control equip.
They are not that hard at all. I am used to working on cars with more confined spaces and more complex than the F-250, so it really depends on your level of knowledge.

Check this video out and see if you are up to the task...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts