Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My name's David. Glad to be here and hopefully I can take in a wealth of knowledge from you all. I'm an auto enthusiast at heart. This will be my first diesel vehicle. I'm 27 and I've owned nearly that many cars since I was 16. I'm flying down to FL (from MI) to drive it home in roughly a week and a half.

It's a 2000 F250 Super Duty Lariat Super Cab?? I guess that's what Ford called the extended cabs back in the day? Anyway, 6' bed, 44,000 miles. I believe it's called Arizona Beige? Zero rust, never seen salt (despite living in MI for it's entire life until last Fall when my step dad and mom moved the FL). This thing is as close to brand new as it gets. My step dad bought it off his dad in 2007 with 28k miles, now he's doing the same for me. Paying $12k for it...curious to know everyone's thoughts on that?

I tried linking some photos but I guess I'm too much a newb! My avatar/profile photo shows a couple....

There's an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed that may or may not stick around....I might just empty it and unload it to utilize the bed space for when we go camping or on other trips. The thing has a 38 gallon fuel tank as it is...I think that's plenty, ha!

Not looking to modify the truck or do much of anything to it right out of the gate.. Maybe just some preventative stuff and possibly a TS 6 position chip tuner. I don't want to get crazy but the +50 or +75hp dial sounds like a good spot to be at. Anyones thoughts on this? I'm coming from an 02 Tahoe Z71, upgrading to this for better towing ability for my 27' Hideout travel trailer. Thing pig will do the job with ease. And I bet I get the same or better fuel milage in it! My wifes got the fun ride in an 08 Saab 9-7x Aero (Trailblazer SS' better looking twin) so we have enough fun with that go pedal.

I'll probably eventually ditch the hard top for a Truxedo low pro. THe cooling system was just gone through and upgraded because my step dad didn't want any surprises while towing with it all the way to FL 1400+ miles so the dealer put in new parts; fan, radiator, trans cooler. Tires, brakes, suspension are all in great shape. This truck has been cared for in the same manor as his classic 71 Nova was. Hand washed weekly, stored in a pole barn for winters, only to come out when the snow flew to hit the driveway. Unfortunately, when they moved to FL in the fall, I was left with the task of selling the plow, so I'll have to pick one of those up for similar driveway duties. I have a quad with a plow but it's weak when we get those heavy wet snows and this thing will do the job with ease.

I do have a pretty short commute, so I'm curious how I can help the truck out rather than ruin it. My drive to work and back is 3 miles round trip daily. I do plan on putting miles on the truck rather than our Saab, mostly due to the low mileage, but also because I'm guessing this won't suck as much fuel as the 400hp LS2 in the 5000# brick of a Saab. I'll find that out soon enough.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Say hey, and hope to learn a lot from here!

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,836 Posts
welcome! 12 grand sounds like a fair price to me, at least in my area.

you'll probably want to do some basic mods to this thing, for instance the Hutch/Harpoon mod & the 50 cent mod... couple things to check out! maybe an egt probe for when you are towing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome! 12 grand sounds like a fair price to me, at least in my area.

you'll probably want to do some basic mods to this thing, for instance the Hutch/Harpoon mod & the 50 cent mod... couple things to check out! maybe an egt probe for when you are towing
Thanks! Sounds like a few inexpensive preventative mods to put on the list. Appreciate the heads up on that. Looks like the hutch

Ronny Adams said:
welcome to the nation.
Thanks! Glad to be here!

·
Administrator
8,178 Posts
Welcome to psn. I suggest the hydra over the ts6.

For gauges (which you need before the chip) I suggest the edge cts2. Or isspro or autometer gauges. I really want a cts2 over my analog gauges.

Exhaust and intake. Google 6637 intake.

Your truck is short so I only has a one piece drive shaft. So traction bars might be a good upgrade to keep the u joints and trans happy. I've heard those trucks are prone to cracking the trans case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well shoot, this things a blast! Got it home yesterday after the 1400+ mile trek from West Palm Beach. No real issues to note, but the trip started with the AC only blowing out the defrost. Then Sunday morning it was working full force as normal. Other than that, it drove like a truck, tracks pretty straight, could probably use an alignment to get it dead on but it doesn't veer or pull or anything.

First thing on the list is a good wash and wax, along with cleaning wax off the black plastics and bringing them back to life a bit. Might remove the belt line trim on the doors too. I also want to add some rust protection at all of the pinch welds underneath just to stop it from getting crusty. There is zero rust on the body (It did have Zeibart new vehicle rust proofing done in 99....)

Like I mentioned before, don't really want to get wild with mods. But the 6637 DIY intake is going to happen with the CCV mod at the same time, and probably the oil crossover as well. I may end up with a Hydra tuner for Christmas if I'm lucky.

Hoping to learn a lot from you all and make this truck last!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts