Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i cleaned up my wheels a bit yesterday and the chrome is peeling off and they are pretty erroded/pitting after 1 winter....so what would some of you recommend in a 17" wheel good for year round abuse? Thanks -Joe

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would stay away from chrome and polished aluminum wheels. They are very hard to maintain through rough winters. I have always found that factory clearcoated wheels hold up the best, but if you don't like the factory wheels, black wheels, either painted or teflon are a good choice or a machined aluminum wheel should hold up pretty wheel. Anything with clearcoat on it should hold up as well. I have Black Mickey Thompson wheels on my truck and they held up just fine over the winter.

You're other choice is to take your good wheels off during the winter months and use a cheaper set of wheels for the winter. But then you need two sets of tires and wheels.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I have pro comp xtreme alloy wheels and they have held up ok, but when I polished them this spring I noticed the chrome is starting to pull up around the little fake bolt holes. I've had them through 2 winters and only polished them twice once each spring. They have little to not pitting though, just one is a little rougher from the brakes going out on that wheel.

Like blackford said stockers or some clear coated wheel is gonna be best through the winters.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just take off my polished wheels during winter months and put my stockers back on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would get a new set of whatever you want, and run those pitting peeling ones in winter. Just paint them black or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts