Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
My wife watches all kinds of cooking shows and I have seen this (or similar) technique used on tomatoes. Going from hot to cold like that is "blanching", I believe that is the way it was referred to as.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
We do similar with crawfish. As soon as we shut the fire off we throw a bunch of ice on top. main reason is it makes the floating crawfish on top sink under the water so they'll soak up the seasoning, but I've also heard it helps them all absorb more and makes them easier to peel.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
We do similar with crawfish. As soon as we shut the fire off we throw a bunch of ice on top. main reason is it makes the floating crawfish on top sink under the water so they'll soak up the seasoning, but I've also heard it helps them all absorb more and makes them easier to peel.
Yup. We do that. And also, if no ice is around, we'll spray the sides to help cool it faster.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want the very best French fries, try this next time; just cut your taters as normal for you (I like them thin) and then soak them over night in cold water, all submurged. Then season them with cajun seasoning, lightly, and drop into hot grease. When drained, they will be the best fries you ever ate. The cold water draws out the starches and will make them taste better and be real crispy. That's the real secret to good fresh French fries.

Pap

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
If you want the very best French fries, try this next time; just cut your taters as normal for you (I like them thin) and then soak them over night in cold water, all submurged. Then season them with cajun seasoning, lightly, and drop into hot grease. When drained, they will be the best fries you ever ate. The cold water draws out the starches and will make them taste better and be real crispy. That's the real secret to good fresh French fries.

Pap
That's the way to do it, I generally soak em 30 min before in ice cold water. Drop em in the fryer 8 min in, 1 min out, 4 more min in. Pull em, put em on a plate with paper towel and then season that's bad boys with some of that Emeril seasoning, which is similar to what your talking about.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts

Pap
Thanks for that tip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts