Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a turbo from rons turbo, WW and upgrade actuator. installed it and a set of up pipe donuts and solved my boost issue, the code i got before were the keep alive memory code (because of my tuner). now i get several new ones
p0470
p0478
p0541
p1211

anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
0470 and 0478 are Exhaust Back Pressure Circuit(0470) and Regulator(0478). When you replaced your turbo did you remove or eliminate the EBPV Pedestal? Either your removed it or did not correctly reconnect the EBP sensor circuit. That would be the plug coming off the EBPV Pedestal.

0541 is manifold Air Intake Heater. That is the heater coil on the intake spider that activates when the ambient air is cold and the engine is not warmed or is idling for long periods. It is supposed to reduce white smoke at cool operating temps. White smoke is unburnt diesel fuel.

If you removed any of the above sensors you will need to correctly terminate the harness pigtails or the codes will reset immediately.

Because you seem to get these right after replacing the turbo, I would double check that the EBP and AIH sensors are correctly connected. Either that or something happened to the wiring harness in front of the turbo... These two sensors are on or around the same harness pigtail which is in fornt of the turbo in the valley.

If you want to NOT get 1211, keep your foot out of it or buy an aftermarket HPOP. In almost all cases 1211 is set when your driving style demands more high pressure oil to run the injectors than your pump can produce. Or just maybe your HPOP or IPR is failing. The only way to know for sure is to hook it up to a scanner at take it for a hard ride and watch both ICP and IPR-DC. Collectively they will tell you how well your HPOP is keeping up. One thing to note: If you are running a chip and drive it hard you will most likely see 1211 again for the reason described above.

BTW: KAM is most likely because you cleared the codes and have not driven it long enough or the batts were dead or disconnected for a period of time. Your tuner should not directly set a KAM DTC. All it is saying is that somehow it lost power to keep the memory alive (Thats how your DTC's remain in memory, via continuous power to the PCM)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
checked harnesses, plugged into pedistal correctly, loose connection at AIH, tightened that up and code didnt come back, the 1211 only pops up when i really beat on it, so i can refrain from that, the keep alive memory code is a common code to come up when running a tuner that flashes the pcm.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
checked harnesses, plugged into pedistal correctly, loose connection at AIH, tightened that up and code didnt come back, the 1211 only pops up when i really beat on it, so i can refrain from that, the keep alive memory code is a common code to come up when running a tuner that flashes the pcm.
Did you clear the codes? What exactly came back.. forgetting about the KAM code. Lastly, does the 0470 come up on KOEO or is it continuous.

If you're getting both 0470 and 0478 as continuous DTC's then you may have a problem with excessive back pressure at the sensor. The EBP sensor is on the front of the motor. Look right in front of the HPOP reservoir, the sensor flange is part of the diamond shaped cover that accesses the HPOP drive gear. It will have a small 1/4 inch steel tube that runs down the left side valley to the rear of the left exhaust manifold. That tube gets plugged with soot and may be restricted causing a false reading. Or based on the 0470 code you may have a wiring harness circuit issue.

Like I said before. If these all showed up right after you replaced the turbo, I would still be looking for something I caused when doing the work.

A couple more Q's. Did you remove the pedestal? did you reconnect the EBPV butterfly at the exhaust housing?

If not continuous it may just be a fluke and you may be chasing your tail.

Glad you got the AIH fixed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we replaced all the o rings in the pedestal because it was leaking, when putting back together we put the arm for the butterfly back on the linkage, along with that annoying sharp little clip. what would happen if i wired the butterfly open? i think im having back pressure issues because after i fixed the up pipe donuts, i blew an exhaust manifold gasket yesterday.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do i tell if a code is koeo or continuous?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Aha.. That may be your back pressure issue and proves your EBP sensor works correctly, that is good. If in fact your EBPV is forcing the butterfly closed or partially closed, you may need to rebuild or eliminate the EBPV pedestal altogether. You can't just disconnect the arm and wire the butterfly open. The EBPV is operated via oil pressure forcing the EBPV arm open and closed via the EBPV solenoid in the pedestal. You have to remove that entire deal. Search on this forum for "gutting EBPV". You should find several procedures that describe how to gut the EBPV pedestal in order to get rid of the entire butterfly, etc.. Or you can buy a Non-EBPV pedestal for about $130.00 and be done with it.

BTW, If your butterfly valve is closing when your engine is warm and running you should hear it. It will sound like a jet engine at the exhaust end.

Again, if this is all happening after you replaced the turbo.. You probably missed something during reassembly.. my $0.02 based on experience.. so maybe $0.04 then

KOEO is Key On Engine Off. So if you hook a scanner up and turn the key to acc w/o starting the engine. Clear all codes and rescan.. Anything that comes back as a DTC at that point is set in a KOEO environment. It only has bearing if the pinpoint tests branch off as KOEO or Continuous. Continuous DTC's are set during Engine operation and could point to other causes. If your scanning a good practice is to first record what you see during the initial scan and then clear all codes and rescan to see what comes back. At that point you may run the engine or dirve the vehicle depending on the issue. DTC's sometimes are set as an isolated incident or as a side effect of something else and are not really an indication of failure.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
we replaced all the o rings in the pedestal because it was leaking, when putting back together we put the arm for the butterfly back on the linkage, along with that annoying sharp little clip. what would happen if i wired the butterfly open? i think im having back pressure issues because after i fixed the up pipe donuts, i blew an exhaust manifold gasket yesterday.
I gutted My EBPV, disconnected all sensors (2) associated with it. The valve is still in there, it is wired open. I have a few codes, they are EBPV codes telling me everything is broken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts