Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ordered it anyway. Haha
I'm going to try and prove it can be done, get a non vgt to have drivability as good as the stock Vgt. We are still going over the final specs, but it should be interesting to say the least. I still might change a few things but as it stands it's going to be a precision duel ball bearing 58mm. It's supposed to flow as good or better then a cast 62 but with better spool. On the exaust side we are going with there new ultra high flow turbine wheel that presision just came out with. It will be there new 66mm wheel. The ex housing we are still working some things out on. It will be along the lines of a .70 divided.
I'm running it on a bd pedestal with there diverter valve also.
It will be a custom build for presision but they say it's not a problem.
I know a lot of you guys will say I should go bigger but I'm sticking with my main goal of excellent drivability on stock injectors.
I'm looking forward to get this installed and running, the results should be interesting.
Keep you all in the loop when I get some results:evil!

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Cool

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, let us know more, and send pictures!
Ya I will for sure. With the holidays shipping might be a little slow, hoping to get it installed by the beginning of january.
Having a hard time trying to get a divided ex housing right now. Everything precision has in a t3 is open. :doh:

·
Caterpillar Tech.
117 Posts
could you pm me a price of how much that turbo was....its just what im looking for!

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Nice, and keep us posted. It should be interesting.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new turbo is on its way, should see it Wednesday. Hoping to have it installed next weekend. Final specs are precisions duel ball bearing 58/66/.63 it will have the billet comp wheel and there new ultra high flow cea ex wheel. The ex housing is stainless steel that I'm going to get ceramic coated in cromex. The compressor housing is also ported.
Get some pics for you guys next week. !! Spool should be as good or better then stock with cooler temps.
Have a good new years , cheers!!

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Wow you went small, not sure how cooler temps your really gonna see, Id like to see the drive pressure your gonna be getting out of that thing. But good luck on it and keep us informed.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Out of all the options you went with those specs? I guess let us know how it works for you

It is ball bearing, but I honestly think anything under 60mm is a joke. Precision offers a 62mm billet ball bearing. You could have more power and cooler egts with equal spool up

You could have spent less and went with a proven 62/65/70 and had similar results.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
How many guys with diesels do you know running precision? Is it a 66mm inducer on the turbine wheel?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow you went small, not sure how cooler temps your really gonna see, Id like to see the drive pressure your gonna be getting out of that thing. But good luck on it and keep us informed.
Small, not really. It should flow almost the same air as a cast 62. Drive pressure , shouldn't be bad at all. Maybe with big injectors on a race tune, but not with stock injectors. It is the turbine wheel that matters more then the housing for back pressure, and it is a new wheel they came out with that is supposed to flow a lot better then a regular 65 and spool faster. The housing is a open .63 so really is about the same flow as a divided .70.
A lot of you guys have run the good old 62/65/70 and don't have drive pressure problems.
I have done a lot of reading and talked to a lot of people. I have even spoke with the boys at bd, as there factory is only 20 minutes from my house. I really feel for my application this turbo should fit the build just right!
I see it all the time guys spec turbos and always go on the big side. Then latter on down the road you here about them switching back to a Vgt because the dead spot or smoke or just plain lag is hurting the drivability.
I'm going this way because I want my truck to have all the street manners as stock or better.

Will let you know how she goes!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many guys with diesels do you know running precision? Is it a 66mm inducer on the turbine wheel?
I don't know of anyone personally running a precision. I do know that they are getting popular with guys on the duramax. There is also a guy in the latest issue of diesel world that is running twins with almost the same high pres charger. There is even a few guys on the cummins forums that seem to love them.

No it is a 66 on the exducer.
Same as the 62/70 is a 65 on the exducer. That would be really really small if it was. Lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out of all the options you went with those specs? I guess let us know how it works for you

It is ball bearing, but I honestly think anything under 60mm is a joke. Precision offers a 62mm billet ball bearing. You could have more power and cooler egts with equal spool up

You could have spent less and went with a proven 62/65/70 and had similar results.
Ya sure, they make turbos all the way up to 100mm, doesn't mean I need one.
I went with the 58 because it flows more then enough air for my needs. Take 4mm of the comp wheel and it will in fact spool faster,
As far as going with a 62/65/70 because it's proven, well ya it does a good job but there is still room for improvement.
The kit II sells I have seen are any ware from $2800-$3000 and there is nothing special about that turbo, in fact it is your run of the mill S-300.
Not knocking it, don't get me wrong, it is a bullet proof little turbo, no question!

The precision is a duel bb cartridge with the latest technology in billet wheels.
Should spool lightning fast and flow as good,
Combine that with a bd pedistall and diverter valve and I got $ 2500 into the setup!
That's $300-$500 cheaper then your 62/70.

Why don't we all just wait and see how it performs, I will give a good review on this little bugger! LOL

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Keep posting up results as you make progress.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well I ordered it anyway. Haha
I'm going to try and prove it can be done, get a non vgt to have drivability as good as the stock Vgt. We are still going over the final specs, but it should be interesting to say the least. I still might change a few things but as it stands it's going to be a precision duel ball bearing 58mm. It's supposed to flow as good or better then a cast 62 but with better spool. On the exaust side we are going with there new ultra high flow turbine wheel that presision just came out with. It will be there new 66mm wheel. The ex housing we are still working some things out on. It will be along the lines of a .70 divided.
I'm running it on a bd pedestal with there diverter valve also.
It will be a custom build for presision but they say it's not a problem.
I know a lot of you guys will say I should go bigger but I'm sticking with my main goal of excellent drivability on stock injectors.
I'm looking forward to get this installed and running, the results should be interesting.
Keep you all in the loop when I get some results:evil!
Turbonetics makes a dual ball bearing 58/65/70. I ran a custom 66/65/70 and a 66/65/80 both would have done better with gates.
I hope that the exhaust housing has a waste gate...stock injectors or not.
I have also run a 66/71/80 which was gated...but the gates are too small. They do not relieve enough exhaust pressure around the turbine to control drive pressure.
Hope it works good for you, and you post positive feedback about it.

One last thing...BD diverters and their pedistals are great, but damn near need the cab off to put them in. (No way to put the diverter and turbo on in one piece.)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turbonetics makes a dual ball bearing 58/65/70. I ran a custom 66/65/70 and a 66/65/80 both would have done better with gates.
I hope that the exhaust housing has a waste gate...stock injectors or not.
I have also run a 66/71/80 which was gated...but the gates are too small. They do not relieve enough exhaust pressure around the turbine to control drive pressure.
Hope it works good for you, and you post positive feedback about it.

One last thing...BD diverters and their pedistals are great, but damn near need the cab off to put them in. (No way to put the diverter and turbo on in one piece.)

Good Luck.
Thanks extended! And yes I will post back later with honest results good or bad. I will be plumbing in a make shift back pres gauge to see what I got after the install.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh ya. , I had the turbonetics torque master bb charger before this one and the results were less then impressive to say the least. Maybe it was just badly designed but I don't think I want to go through that again. I'm hopping to have better performance with the precision.
Everybody who has one sure rants and raves about them, even elite is now selling them. I also noticed on elite diesels web site they were trying precisions billet CEA compressor wheel in the powermax.
We will know soon enough thou!!

·
6.0 money pit
3,107 Posts
How are you only having 2500 in the charger ped and diverter? I've priced it through quite a few vendors and ped with diverter was close to 1k alone

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Charger is $1635 shipped and the diverter and pedistal was $800 and change. Bd is just down from where I live here in abbotsford bc Canada. Just goggle precision turbos and there is lots of vendors selling them for that give or take a $100 dollars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts