Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck was down for 3 months, turned out the only thing wrong with it was the fuel pump, which should have been replaced correctly the 1st time. However, now it is running better, but the turbo doesn't want to kick in. Replaced turbo actuator with a Tech Smart actuator, but ended up blowing the intercooler hose off 2x before I tightened it down enough. Took it for a slower test drive on the 3rd try, ran much better. Took it for another test drive a few hours after that, and it still did better yet, however, I did notice that the turbo would engaged and then back off, constantly. I figured maybe it was getting broke in or whatever. Decided to drive it into town (7 miles away), and didn't even get 1/2 mile and then the truck wouldn't even hardly move as the turbo wouldn't even kick in. Started blowing out thick grey/ black smoke from the exhaust. I did get it down the road, but slowly and couldn't get it up to 50mph. Thinking that the actuator may be bad, even though it is brand new. I have already replace the ICP, and the EBP senor and tubing months prior to this so I know it isn't anything to do with carbon deposits, nor is it the turbo vains being stuck either, as the turbo was taken apart, and the vains cleaned. Anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Stupid question, but did you connect the MAP sensor hose, or at least check it for leaks? Also, be sure your EBP connector is actually connected. I had an issue with that one time as well which caused similar problems.

When idling, can you hear the turbo change pitch? When I first start it up, mine won't have any noise, and then three seconds later it starts whining....about a minute in, when the idle speed changes, the pitch of the turbo changes. If you can hear those changes, it would seem that the actuator is ok. If not, you may want to try pulling the actuator and returning it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts