Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a f350 cclb 4x4 6spd and it happened to have the Banks Stinger-plus hardware on it, but when i looked at the ECU, there wasn't the "ottomind" module attached. I assume the person that sold it to the dealer took it with them.
I'd like to put a module or programmer back in to get some power improvements but also the mpg gains. Should I just get the Banks ottomind module or would there be better options?

thanks,
Paul

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
Custom chip from one of the vendors on here and you will happy. Congrats on the new ride

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
I just bought a f350 cclb 4x4 6spd and it happened to have the Banks Stinger-plus hardware on it, but when i looked at the ECU, there wasn't the "ottomind" module attached. I assume the person that sold it to the dealer took it with them.
I'd like to put a module or programmer back in to get some power improvements but also the mpg gains. Should I just get the Banks ottomind module or would there be better options?

thanks,
Paul
What is the hardware that it has on it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the hardware that it has on it?
It has all the hardware that came with the stinger-plus kit. Basically a 4" exhaust, turbine outlet elbow, 1.0 turbine housing with a bigger WG canister, intake piping and a filter (basically a K&N, but I've removed that part, never really liked the oiled filters).

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Do you tow?

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
If it was my truck, I would watch the classifieds and ebay and find a used Ottomind chip. Then send it to Banks and get it tested and programmed for your PCM code at their Powerpack Power level. I have done a few chips this way and have never spent over $100 total for one. It will be almost smoke free at full throttle and run smooth at all RPM's.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
A custom tuned 6-position chip will net you the best gains in overall performance, power, throttle response, and mileage. We offer a couple different options but could get you set up with tuning to best fit your needs. Give us a call and we can get something put together for you...

Wide Open Performance
801-233-1111

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Do you remember how much banks charges to do that?
$45 including shipping. If you ask them, they will also remove the speed limiter. I had them remove it on my chip so I could keep up with the traffic on the Florida turnpike.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Buying a truck with banks stuff already on it.- Ok
Asking a respectable knowledge base for their opinion.- Great!
Someone saying to buy something else from banks.....- FAIL

Buy a custom tuned chip from a vendor and enjoy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My experience with banks tuning is that it is horrible.

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
DO NOT put an Ottoblow on your new ride.....they run the timing too far advanced and it's NOT GOOD for your rig.......

and I know this because I have a good friend thats a Ford Diesel mechanic ( thats all he does) and he swears that 99% of the trucks that come in with BROKEN pistons-parts have, or have had the banks chip.

get a TS 6-position chip from one of the guys on here and have it tuned for your truck....everybody else does, and for VERY good reasons.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've heard a lot of folks say that banks is way overpriced, but i didn't know that they were known to cause damage. Everyone says to get something from one of the guys on here, are they all equal or should I avoid some or focus on others?

thanks for all the feedback and a great site full of useful info,
Paul

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
banks maybe over priced but definatly the safest way to chip.
i have never ever not even once heard of a banks chip causing failure.

how much damage can a 10 hp chip do?

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
it can do a lot of damage on a long hill on a hot day pulling heavy....and my friend the Ford mechanic doesn't lie.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
not saying he lies ...maybe a crackhead though.......lol just kidding
you can actually snap a stock input shaft or blow a 100% factory stock
motor pulling a hill towing heavy or heavier .

but pulling a truck into a ford shop having a real chip pulled out, or running a banks sticker is very common.
I dont see a banks truck getting the egts hot enough...one of the modules used to defuel at hi temps.
In fact they are little more then 10k mods, if they increased power more then 25-40hp i would be amazed.
but anything is possible. so maybe some have come in with star patterns and heat cracking.

probably more because the avg powerstroke guy running a banks chip, is not a diesel guru,
does not watch egts, wait for the truck to warm up before romping on it, gives it no cool down, and tows in max power, etc.

but asside from 444 probably no one here will attempt to say go banks..
as the custom chip guys here do a darn good job, and get you more power..milage etc.
not sure how much the otto mind controls the tranny as banks had a small box to do that, which you will want to see if that is on your truck.
a chip tuner will need to know that or else your tranny pressures will be totally jacked. unless ut is a stick shift...that is

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
give matt at gearhead, johnathan at beans or swamps, dave at di, jodyat dp, bill at at php .. power hungry, or tony wildman a call....see who tells you what you need to hear to feel warm and fuzzy. heck ask the banks guys too

see who seems to show actual knowledge of tunning a 7.3 to what your needs and goals are.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Buying a truck with banks stuff already on it.- Ok
Asking a respectable knowledge base for their opinion.- Great!
Someone saying to buy something else from banks.....- FAIL

Buy a custom tuned chip from a vendor and enjoy.
Exactly !

banks maybe over priced but definatly the safest way to chip.
i have never ever not even once heard of a banks chip causing failure.

how much damage can a 10 hp chip do?
I'd tend to agree.

OP Id go with a 6 pos chip. Swamps or Cale or Gearhead. Etc.

And whoever said banks doesnt smoke is an meathead !

1 - 20 of 75 Posts