Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new TPS from Ford and I'm still getting hesitations when I'm accelerating. The truck seems to run fine under light throttle, but under hard accelerations power seems to come and go. I’ve even notice that when this happens my boost will jump all the way to 28-30 psi when the power comes in but when it hesitates and power goes away it’ll go to 20-22 psi. Fuel gauge seems to stay above 60 psi the entire time. I’ve purchased a new ICP but didn’t install it yet (the old one has oil in the electrical connection), I wanted to see if the new TPS would solve the problem. I’ll install it after work, anyone know what size socket will fit it? Could this also be a sticking IPR? I’ll also check my fuel filter, but it’s been changed approx. 3K miles ago.

The truck starts great, idles good and smooth, don’t smoke, shake nothing out of the ordinary. I’m running out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've installed a new ICP and still no change, still hesitating under acceleration and maintaining speed.

I've gutted my pedistal and have a van turbo with no wastegate.

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
What injectors are you running? mine did very similar things when my stockers got worn out...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't tell me that lol, mine are stock! I did a buzz test a few weeks ago and all sounded great. I'm leaning twards fuel now, maybe clogged pickup line in the tank, maybe time to purchase the kit from ITP site.

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
yea mine were good electronicly it was the oil side of things that wore out..... would run great at low icp pressures at like 1/8th throttle but would flat fall on its face anytime i asked for more

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a test run with AE to see if I'm doing this right. I can email the CSV file to anyone that is willing to look at it.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I just looked at your AE log and it seems to look good to me.

what CPS are you running on your truck? Also have you changed the fuel filters?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help Trey.

I got a black CPS, its probly 2 yrs. old. I got approx. 3k on oil and fresh fuel filter, I changed that also with a new ICP sensor. Old one had oil in the connector figured might as well replace it. No change with new ICP and fuel filter...

I bought a new IPR the other day, I'll put that on when it arrives. Any install tips for that?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Thanks for the help Trey.

I got a black CPS, its probly 2 yrs. old. I got approx. 3k on oil and fresh fuel filter, I changed that also with a new ICP sensor. Old one had oil in the connector figured might as well replace it. No change with new ICP and fuel filter...

I bought a new IPR the other day, I'll put that on when it arrives. Any install tips for that?
If your HPOP line is bare braided stainless. Wrap a rag around it. If you don't, you hand will look like it has been attacked by a cat.

Put a lot of rags under the IPR in the valley. It makes a mess when you pull it out.

Use a 1/2" deep well socket. Put the socket by itself on the IPR. You can then get enough bite on the socket with the ratchet to turn it. If you put the socket on the ratchet first, it is to short to reach.

Oil the orings before installing. And fill you HPOP reservoir before trying to start it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would lean towards IPR and the sensor on driver's side closest to the fuel bowl on top. I changed mine out with good results. The easiest way to remove the IPR is to get the deepest socket you have to fit the IPR and weld or braze a spark plug socket on the end so you can work it with a wrench or socket. The wrench is slow moving but definately easier.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry guys, I've replaced the ICP and have a new IPR, just haven't had time to replace that, I'm hoping to be able to get to it Sunday. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
crap!! went to harbor freight to buy some cheap deep sockets and they are to short! i'll have to look around for a longer set i guess.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
Glenn..if you can see all the way though the socket...slide the socket onto the IPR...the IPR will almost come out the other end of the socket but there should still be room for the ratchet to bite onto the socket...or you can weld a piece of flat stock onto the socket as well...you wont find a deep socket to fit the IPR perfect...

·
Registered
110 Posts
All you need is a 1/2" drive 1 1/8" socket with a spark plug socket brazed or welded on the end, don't worry about finding a deep socket, the IPR will fit through the 1/2" drive section--remember to pull off the small nut and sleeve so you can get to the nut. Pay attention to how much torque it takes to remove the plug and use equal torque to reinstall. Here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think whats happening is there is a circular area in the socket right past the part where the ratchet inserts that wont allow the end of the sensor to pass through the end of the socket. I think I can get my drill and wallow it out enough to let it pass threw. The socket is 1/2" also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Take a pic of what your working with and post it up. My socket was 1/2" drive and I had no problem. Once you take the little nut off and pull the sleve the actual rod end of the sensor isn't that big around. They sell deep enough sockets at lowe's I think I read on here somewhere, take your new sensor with you if you can't make the homemade version work.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts