Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Ford's but fairly handy on my rigs. I have a 2000 f350. It will start usually right on the first start. But shut it off for 10 minutes or so and usually won't start up. AndAnd starter Won't even click. I can hear the relays under the dash clicking but no starter. Wait 30 minutes and it'll usually fire. I've tested the batteries. Their good. Any thought s would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I actually just ran across this same problem with my sisters Taurus. Replaced started and everything is good now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Id say its the starter also. I burned my original starter upi trying to start it in subzero temps with 3 bad glow plugs and not plugged in. got it started and drove home. next morning went to start it and the starter was seized up. it was drawing power and wanted to spin but just wouldnt. almost 400 dollars later with a gear reduction starter she fired right up

·
Registered
75 Posts
I replaced my starter about 1 yr ago but I did some checks first. Make sure your battery terminals are clean. Take a volt meter and a helper (a wife will work) and you crawl under the truck with the meter and have your helper turn the truck on, but not to the start position, just the on position. Check the voltage at the large heavy wire. It should be roughly battery voltage 12-12.6V. Find the smaller wire, I think mine was also red and have your helper turn to key to the start position and check the voltage there. If you have battery voltage there, it is almost certain it's your starter. If you have no voltage there, it's most likely in the wiring somewhere between your ignition switch and the starter. One more thing, my truck is a 2002 f350 and the starter solenoid is on the starter. Some years, the starter relay is on the inside fender well. If yours is on the fender well, than you will need to test it there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts