Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew, and ive got a 2002 f350 7.3 powerstroke, and i need your help. the truck had a terrible idle so i brought it to a diesel shop and than to ford.. the problem is still exactly the same... they have now changed injector #8 & #3, all remaining O-rings, the uvc harnesses, the valve cover gaskets, the ICP and the IDM... sounds exactly the same...

what else could it be..

anything will help ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also... this only happens once the truck gets to operating temperature. does anyone know what else i may have over-looked that could relate to the truck heating up..
runs perfect when shes cold.

THX...

·
Registered
199 Posts
do a compression test. the if it passes your going to have to hook it up to a scanner and get live data feed. with the things that have been replaced there are only a few other things it could be

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mechanic at my local for dealer is having me bring the truck back monday so that he can dig further on his diagnostic, il ask him to check the compression but what would that point to? what part or sensor could be causing these symptoms. he said it could be the IPR but he is confused because of the fact that it only occurs when its at running temp.

anything else i could look at.. I read a thread about "cracked oil pump pickups" but would that cause a consistent misfire?

·
Registered
853 Posts
well if it runs good with the icp unplugged its either the icp or the harness

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it bad to run the engine with the ICP unplugged. Like can I unplug it at certain points in the diagnostic... Is that bad?

·
Registered
853 Posts
no it wont hurt as long as you don't try to drive with it unplugged

·
Registered
853 Posts
ya unplug the harness from the sensor

·
Registered
853 Posts
just look to see if it is chewed up mabey a squirrel or some other kind of rodent or evem chafing from another part of the motor

·
Registered
853 Posts
the harnesses are cheap like 20 or 30$ no problem that's what this site is for
:psn:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok.. so I checked the harness and it didn't look damaged but i changed it anyway... the misfire/rough idle is still there... still the same...

where should i look next...???

Thanks

·
Registered
853 Posts
are you loosing any coolant or getting white smoke when its at full operating temp?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are you loosing any coolant or getting white smoke when its at full operating temp?
about three months ago I noticed the coolant was a bit low so I added some but it may have been low from when I purchased the truck. The level looks good now though..
As far as smoke, there is no white smoke. Almost no smoke at all... Although, I live in Canada and on really cold winter mornings the truck will blow white smoke for the first couple of minutes.

·
Registered
853 Posts
well that's normal just making sure you don't have a blown head gasket. the only other thing I can think of is the pick up screens in the tank are clogged up and not getting the right fuel pressure

·
Registered
853 Posts
have you checked or changed the fuel filter?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have not investigated it... How should I check or diagnose that, and could that be something that would change based on the temperature of the engine? And corrected by unplugging the ICP?

Thanks a bunch...
I really appreciate you help

1 - 20 of 41 Posts