Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Ford F250 6.0
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up, just bought my first diesel. I got rid of my 2017 F250 Lariat 6.2L to negate a monthly payment for family health/personal reasons. I decided to get a diesel for the longevity (so long as I take care of it). I am an analyst/researcher in my professional capacities so I did a fair amount of research on the 6.0's before moving forward with finding and purchasing a 6.0. I found a 2006 Lariat that has been studded and deleted (well was told it was deleted, I haven't gotten into the engine to 100% verify).

I bought the truck out of state from, after doing business with the company, what seemed to be at least a "questionable" company, but the laws are different in that state than the state I am in.....so perhaps it isn't questionable in that state. Either way, I drove the truck back 5 hours to my home, no problems. The next couple of days I drove the truck 3 hours to visit some family and then drove the truck 8 hours away for work travel, then another 6 hours to come back home. During this time I was also driving this truck daily to and form work and such.

I have had no problems and the truck seems to be running far better than I had hoped, no staring problems, no temp problems....yes using the stock dash gauges doesn't tell me much, but I watched them quite hard during the long and short drives and never really saw in variance in where the needles landed.

The truck goes in 19SEP2022 to my Ford dealership for a good look over, fluid changes and fix the A/C (may wait on this as fall/winter is coming). I realize I've already said enough and now you know the back story, what I am getting after here in this post is that I've put together a list of things (broken out in phases) of what I plan to do with the truck. I have ordered the list in what I believe the best way forward, based on my needs (daily reliable driver and light towing). I don't need a race truck, I need a truck that will last a long time.

Look at the list, tell me what you think...

===Comfort Phase (385)
Ford Check/AC: Happening

Fresh Fluids and Filters: Happening

Floor Mats: 190

Tinting: need to find good place to get this done

New Grill: 195 (plenty of other options for grills

===Recommended Phase: (eh, can probably wait a bit)
Fuel Pressure Monitor: 170

===Phase 1 (Bullet Proofing): 4673
FICM: 1151 (should be 48v, 47v is okay-ish, NOT LOWER)

BulletProof Complete Cooling System Upgrade: 1292

BulletProof Oil System Upgrade: 2230

===Phase 2 (Breathing) (amazon list) 3537
Amazon:
SD intake elbow: 99
SD Cold Air Intake: 448
SD Cold/Hot Pipes: 471

Headers: 1889

Exhaust TurboBack: 630

===Phase 3 (Filtering) 1485
Degas: 333

Degas: 531

Sinister Diesel Oil Filter & Coolant Filtration System: 621 (*extra oil filtering after doing BPD Oil system upgrade?)

===Phase 4 Tuning:
Tuner: 378

===Phase 5 6.0-YEA! (wishful thinking)
Turbo Stage 2: 1600

Radiator Host Kit: 255

51 Gallon Fuel Tank: 2160

===DONE
Blue Spring Kit: 84 (amazon) need to install

Monitor: 417 (amazon) need to install

Head Unit/Speakers Done, need to fix steering wheel controls and put in rear speakers

LED Instrument Gauges Bulbs (amazon) need to install

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like you have picked a path forward and have a good game plan.

How about posting some pictures of the truck? And welcome to PN!

·
Registered
2006 Ford F250 6.0
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would say you do not need 95% of the posted stuff.
and if you live in a state that inspects vehicles, you will probably have to put all the emissions stuff back on it to pass inspection.
I should have also prefaced that this truck is also a balance of my daily driver and "easy enough" projects to get into on the weekends. I've given up hardcore building motors, takes up too much room in the garage and I don't have that kind of dedication any longer. I am totally tracking that a bunch of that stuff is not needed, but still fun and stuff I can do in a few hours to a weekend of being under the truck.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Not recommended:

Headers, unnecessary and probably leak
Cooling system upgrade, are planning on towing around 20k trailers? (I've done more with factory cooling)
Never had a problem with hoses
Extra oil filter is unnecessary, OEM cap and filter
Weather tech floor mats do not fit right
Clear degas bottle is better so you can see your coolant level
Irc 4" exhaust is better unless you are really built
Ficmrepair ficm is probably better, their company is awesome
Turbo unnecessary unless your built
Cac pipes are unnecessary unless you have that stupid plastic one
Looks like you put two tuners down.

What you do need:

Code reader, get this today. Bafix adapter for Android and forscan lite for your phone. You can test the delta on your oil cooler and see if any problems there.

Blue spring as soon as it comes in, and check your fuel pressure ASAP. I built a tester for less than $50

New battery wires and connections, test your batteries, get a new quality alternator and a ficm, I recommend ficmrepair.com for this, $1600 for all that.

Fuel pressure monitoring when you can.

Flush cooling system to cat elc

Oil testing from Blackstone

Reactions: Qholic

·
Registered
2006 Ford F250 6.0
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not recommended:

Headers, unnecessary and probably leak
Cooling system upgrade, are planning on towing around 20k trailers? (I've done more with factory cooling)
Never had a problem with hoses
Extra oil filter is unnecessary, OEM cap and filter
Weather tech floor mats do not fit right
Clear degas bottle is better so you can see your coolant level
Irc 4" exhaust is better unless you are really built
Ficmrepair ficm is probably better, their company is awesome
Turbo unnecessary unless your built
Cac pipes are unnecessary unless you have that stupid plastic one
Looks like you put two tuners down.

What you do need:

Code reader, get this today. Bafix adapter for Android and forscan lite for your phone. You can test the delta on your oil cooler and see if any problems there.

Blue spring as soon as it comes in, and check your fuel pressure ASAP. I built a tester for less than $50

New battery wires and connections, test your batteries, get a new quality alternator and a ficm, I recommend ficmrepair.com for this, $1600 for all that.

Fuel pressure monitoring when you can.

Flush cooling system to cat elc

Oil testing from Blackstone
That's good stuff. For sure some of the things on there are more for fun rather than being a necessity.

I just put a CTS 3 Insight.....everything I'm readying off that looks great as far as what I've research (pic provided, basic Screen 1 I keep in front of me)
Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Gauge Odometer

. I have come across more supporting information surrounding a solid tune as opposed to no tune. I still want to do a bit more digging on the tuner I would want.

Keep in mind, most of this stuff I wouldn't really even address until something became a problem and I have the need to repair something....might as well upgrade if I have to fix something.

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,433 Posts
None of the F-series 6.0L's came with the updated standpipes, dummy plugs, or STC fitting from the factory. Neither did the 07's for that matter.

They also did NOT come with the oil cooler that has the extra row for coolant flow (which IMO also had some reliability upgrades). With your planned change to a BulletProofDiesel oil cooler, that is of no consequence, but IMO that revised oil cooler is more reliable.

None of the 04.5 and up EGR coolers are worth keeping. They are unreliable. The BulletProofDiesel EGR cooler is an EXCELLENT upgrade.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I use power service white with great results, I wait for single digits around here for anti gel purposes with our local fuel, but I also mostly use it every tank for fuel lubrication purposes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do have another question......are there any diesel fuel additives anybody recommends? If so, what is it and how frequent?
Archoil, highly recommend both for oil and fuel. Rev X also for oil. I do switch between Archoil and RevX every other oil change. Great comments from Blackstone on oil analysis done every forth oil change (20k miles). Was recommeNed to keep up with the additives. 188k miles on 2005 Excursion, Eddie Bauer Edition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts