Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 99 f250 crew cab work truck to use a my tow pig. I have a 24 foot enclosed car trailer. How does everyone tow with them in or out of overdrive? also what would be some good mods to start with i know im going with exuast first. Also i want to get rid of the sealed beam lights but unsure of whats involved other than changing the wires? maybe a new header panel? thanks

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
first thing on a tow rig would upgrade the tranny, at the minimum upgrade the valve body and put in a tripple disk convertor. I would then get some tow tunes and gauges for it

·
Registered
699 Posts
Gauges will be very important especially for towing, so you can watch as much as you can and drive to keep temps in line. If you can swing it cost wise, consider doing the exhaust as well as an intake and gauges at the same time. The intake and exhaust will help with the temps but without the gauges you won't know whats going on.

As far as overdrive goes. It will depend on what and where you are towing. If you can get up to a speed where you can be in overdrive, go for it, but if it starts going in and out of 3rd and OD then it's best just to keep it out of OD so it isn't hunting for a gear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was planning on exuast gauges intake and some type of tune for it here soon. When you drive it without a trailer and turn the overdrive off its at like 2500 or more rpms at 55-60mph. i guess this is normal. im not used to the 7.3 i work on the dt466 international has in 7500 trucks for a fleet. thanks for any input it is appreciated

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also im curious how good of a deal i got. it is a 2wd long bed crew cab base model work truck with 140,000mi. $5,000 sounds good to me considering blue book is 7,700-8,800.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts