Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and to owning a 6.0. 6 months ago i wouldnt have bean caught dead in a 6.0 powerstroke but a deal came along that i just couldnt pass up. the truck has bean fine so far except every now and then it seams like the turbo quits boosting and it wont shift when taking off from a stop. Ya sit there at 3000rpm for a few seconds and then all the suden the turbo starts wistleing like crazy and it feels like you are getting rear ended as it shifts and takes off like a bat out of hell. I am willing to give this truck a fare chance to see if the dreaded 6.0 Powerstroke is as bad as its reputaion. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.
I guess i should mention some pertanent info. Its a 2004 F350 SRW short bed crew cab 4X4 automatic. It has 220,000 miles and the only mod it has is a 4" exhaust.
As you will come to find out, I am a horrible speller and my grammer sucks as well so please bear with me.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
:whs: The veins in the vgt turbos sometimes will stick in a certain position and either cause to much boost or not enough boost...sounds like your not making any boost..is there smoke coming from the tailpipe when this is happening?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No codes or lights. It does smoke just a bit when it happens. A very light blue smoke but its not bad at all as far as smoking goes. I was also wondering if it might be time to change the turbo with it having 220,000 miles on it. Any thoughts on a replacment?

·
Registered
646 Posts
No codes or lights. It does smoke just a bit when it happens. A very light blue smoke but its not bad at all as far as smoking goes. I was also wondering if it might be time to change the turbo with it having 220,000 miles on it. Any thoughts on a replacment?
Pick up a Garret Powermax, you will be happy with that, and it if you plan to upgrade, injectors & power adders later you will be fine with it.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,319 Posts
BTW - 220k and the turbo just now needs cleaning ........... doesn't sound like it is time to bad mouth 6.0L engines .........

Sounds pretty good to me!

·
Registered
82 Posts
BTW - 220k and the turbo just now needs cleaning ........... doesn't sound like it is time to bad mouth 6.0L engines .........

Sounds pretty good to me!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Take the time to learn about these engines and do whats required of any enigine and you'll enjoy the hell of it... Even those that bitch about it know it's one hell of brute and has served a many well. Congrats on the truck buddy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never said a bad thing about it. I have just heard alot a horrible things about them. Thats why I said I was going to give the truck a fair shot. And I agree, at 220,000 it is not doing to bad to need a thing or two.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,319 Posts
Lets see ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

forum name: Wish_It_Was_A_Bowtie2004

First statement: "6 months ago i wouldnt have bean caught dead in a 6.0 powerstroke"

Later statement ....."to see if the dreaded 6.0 Powerstroke is as bad as its reputaion"

And you are asking us guys that really like our 6.0L trucks for advice? You sure you trust our judgement? - lol

Couldn't resist the retorts - (you kinda asked for them).

I would try the turbo cleaning, but probably the worst thing about these engines is that they are hard to troubleshoot. It is easy to get in the mode of "parts changing" and that is expensive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know the the forum name was asking for it. But I figured it'd be funny. but no worries, I can take it. Infact i kinda expected it. lol
I'll prolly pull it apart next weekend for a good cleaning. Was thinking heavaly about putting a Batmowheel in it while I've got it apart. Thanks guys for all the words of wisdom. I realy apriciate it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
chevy sucks lol hope all it need is a good cleaning good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts