Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to Killeen, Texas in April. I have been told that Texas is an inspection state...will I have problems getting inspected with DPF Delete Exhaust (Straight Piped)?

Or if so, are there some mod friendly inspection shops someone can point me towards? To keep the mod friendly inspectors safe, just IM me if you have some info to assist.

Thanks,

Schmidtty

·
Registered
451 Posts
Welcome to Texas. Go to "mom and pop" type shops out in the country and you wont have any trouble. Actually I just inspected mine last Friday. Inspector has a 2008 Super Duty with a DPF delete also. He has told me that in Texas its not checked. And I think he said its not needed. Dont know if its true or not...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Not needed but what is needed, is about $100 for your registration.

·
Powerstrokin'
847 Posts
I know around my parts (Brownwood)/(Comanche) its getting hard to get your vehicle inspected without a muffler. There was a place or two where you could get it done but they got their inspecting privelages takin away. So idk:shrug:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Lol well as son as mine comes out of DI, with the new 5" straight pipe, it needs an inspection. Already expired.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inputs guys...I was reading they are supposed to check under the truck for the stock exhaust, etc., during the inspection.

I just don't want to go through the pain of putting the stock exhaust back on in order to pass inspection.

Schmidtty

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome to Texas Shirt (I am guessing by the avatar). I am sure you will not have too much problems getting your truck inspected.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome. Best thing to do is stay away from the larger cities when getting inspected. I know in houston they do emissions. Look for shops off main highways is also a good idea.

·
Work in progress!
390 Posts
The current law is every vehicle must have a muffler, and is supposed to be checked for emissions equipment but alot of the goes by the wayside in farther out shops. If you were in a county that required emmisions testing you might have more trouble. I sure that killeen is a non-emissions county tho.

As far as the failing part goes, if it is entered into the computer then the vehicle must be returned to the inspection station that did the original inspection within the 15 days after the initial failing inspection. After the 15 days tho, you should be able to go to any other inspection station.

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
The current law is every vehicle must have a muffler, and is supposed to be checked for emissions equipment but alot of the goes by the wayside in farther out shops. If you were in a county that required emmisions testing you might have more trouble. I sure that killeen is a non-emissions county tho.

As far as the failing part goes, if it is entered into the computer then the vehicle must be returned to the inspection station that did the original inspection within the 15 days after the initial failing inspection. After the 15 days tho, you should be able to go to any other inspection station.
06 or 07 and below diesels do not require a muffler because the turbo acts as one... As said in the books.

·
Work in progress!
390 Posts
06 or 07 and below diesels do not require a muffler because the turbo acts as one... As said in the books.
Yes I know, and I argued that to the death with TXDOT when I was an inspector for a quick lube that I worked at last year. If the customer threw a fit I would just direct them to TXDOT and let them fight it out.

That being said tho my location was more subject a sneak inspection due to being close to Waco, so we were with the book on everything, to where a mom and pop location could get by with it easier.

And I questioned it my self and it is plain as day in the manual and this is almost word for word that I remember...

"Every vehicle must be equipped with a functioning muffler."

"Muffler defined-A series of chambers to recieve exhaust gasses for combustion engine or turbines for recieving exhaust gasses from a diesel powered vehicle"

That is almost to the letter and it was this way as of November last year. As I said I argued it to death but in the end TXDOT wins. I always made the deal with customers that I would slap a sticker on anything if they would agree to pay any fine that I incurred from being caught, and pay for unemployment as I would lose my job as a result of the station owners being fined as well. Never had I taker and they usually were a little more understanding after I put it that way.

Personally I would have no issue with passing a diesel vehicle with no muffler do to exactly what it says right there but I was not about to chance my job and a fine for it.

·
Work in progress!
390 Posts
What does your truck have? And where do you get it inspected :poke: :D
I can neither confirm nor deny, but I know a place...:poke::psn:

And to the OP, what I would do is finD an inspection station and let them know your situation, ie:just moved here, not familiar with laws, dont want the headache of a failed inspection, blah, blah, blah. Dont hint at anything being illegal or not up to par and just ask them to look at your truck and tell you if it will pass or not. If yes do the inspection, if not go to another station and see if they will pass it.

BTW you will have to get an inspection before reregistering your vehicle. You will have to have a COPY IN HAND (ask me why thats bold :doh::mad:) of a current insurance card, and will have to get a VI-30 form which will be provided by the inspection station. Just let them know when you get there that it is an out of state inspection and they will get the nessecary form.

All this is as of November of last year so I imagine its still the same.

Any more questions just post up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, thanks for all the information! You have got to love :psn:!!!

I just ordered all of my go-fast goodies today, so the truck will definitely be modded when I get to Texas next month. :evil

Can't wait to get to Texas! I'll be looking for the meet & greets that are close so hopefully will run into a few of you sometime.

Cheers,

Schmidtty

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
When I had a muffler delete pipe on my truck, I just had a cooler of beer duct taped to the frame where the muffler went. No issues. Never even noticed the missing CAT.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts