Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum. Recently been looking to find me a 03-05 6L as a daily driver. New to the Powerstrokes. Have owned several Cummins. I'm an engine tech at a Detroit diesel dealer. Seems to be a lot of really nice stock 6.0s out there to be had for cheap (i assume everyone has been scared off of them because of EGR issues?). I'm very familiar with EGR and all the issues that came along with it. Looking for any advice any of you guys have? or anyone that can answer any of my questions?

1. The EGR delete kits seem to all get good reviews? I know it comes with a waiver that it is for off road use only, but how many of you guys have the deletes on your daily drivers? Is it really that risky?

2. Not very familiar with Ford transmissions. I would really like an automatic. Any issues with the autos? How reliable?

3. I know Detroits have issues with their VNT turbos. What's the reliability of these?

4. Lastly, after doing some reading on here I came across something called "OASIS"? which I gather is like a carfax report? Never heard of it before? Could someone run a VIN for me?

The VIN is 1FTNX21P84EAO2953

I just recently went to look at a local one that is extremely clean. Guy had it in a heated garage. Said I could lay under it to inspect it. I inspected the truck all over. The truck has 172,000 miles on it. 2 owners. Original owner in GA, and second owner in PA, but garage kept. No rust. Truck is bone stock. 172k miles kind've scares me but after seeing the truck and talking to the owner I don't think the truck was ever beat on. It's unmolested. I looked at coolant reservoir (did not see any signs of white residue), exhaust manifold bolts (did not see any broken off, none were even rusty), front end components (everything felt tight, grease fittings were visible with fresh grease visible, said it had ball joints and sway bar links replaced recently). Also said it was at the dealer recently for an oil leak. Ended up being a o ring on the oil cooler, and the dealer talked him into replacing the oil cooler all together. Said the bill was around $1400? Does that sound right? After inspecting it I gave the guy $200 cash to hold the truck for a week. I plan on going back to buy it in a week, but would like some input before hand. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
I have been running a delete on mine for 40K miles (not too much compared to others) and have never had a single issue. The problem that some people have with them is when you have emission testing where you live.
The 5R110 is actually a very strong transmission. It can handle up to 500-600hp safely, dependent on tuning, and driver input.
Keep the turbo cleaned out (WOT every so often, like you stole it from a dealership) and it shouldn't cause too many issues.
Yes, the OASIS is similar to a CarFax, but its dealer specific. It will show any work that has been done on the vehicle at any authorized Ford Dealership. Any dealership should be able to print you out a report by using the VIN number. Some members on here will even do it for you.
If you can, try and have the owner park it outside so the engine can get cold (below 40 degrees F if possible). Make sure yo ustart it up bone cold. If there are any issues with the injection system, they will show up at that point.
Also, if possible, watch you coolant, and oil temps. If they are more then 10 degrees apart after the engine is fully warm, cruising 65mph for 10 minutes, then the oil cooler is clogged.

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
:whs: have had my EGR delete since I have owned my truck (35,000 miles) and had 0 issues with it or my emissions. Have a SCT tuner and no codes or issues with it either after turning of EGR. These trucks do tend to have issues with stretching head bolts and blowing head gaskets frequently as well. There are a lot of small preventatives you can take, sounds like the oil cooler was just replaced which is good get the blue spring kit, 6.4 banjo bolts, coolant filter kit. These are all fairly cheap and do it yourself and will help with issues down the road. Good luck with the new truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated. The truck is a 2004 lariat. He is asking $12,900.

Could you elaborate on the blue spring kit, 6.4 banjo bolts, and coolant filter kit? Where to buy? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You can get all that stuff at sinister diesel they will work you a package deal

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
That's a pretty decent price good luck with the oasis report. I agree with sinister on coolant filter and blue spring there 6.4 banjo bolts are way over priced though got mine off eBay for way cheaper.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It depends where you live, as long as it is not in California go run an EGR delete kit from my knowledge it's not risky at all. Ford transmissions are actually pretty good. the 05-07 are slightly better than 03/04.. But as long as your not running 600+ Hp and do your regular fluid/filter changes it should last forever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts