Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 250 6.0 with 120,000 on it in texas. The following is what is has done to it need to know what else I need to do to keep it running good....it has the full banks kit with the monster exhuast, sixgun, iq tuner, intercooler,ramair intake, and I wanna say elbow its red? Also has bullet proof diesel egr, bpd oil cooler, new high volume oil pump, new thermostat and cooler tank, and has umm a oil filer setup where theres a oil filter up top dont kno what thats called..... I heard I should replace the headbolts with studs? How expensive and hard is that to do? How are the transmissions on these trucks......i would like to get a differnt turbo and bigger injectors. Whats the price range for that and what factory parts should I start replacing? Transmission parts? drive shafts? Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ur gonna need head studs if ur gonna put injectors and turbo on it.
I would also upgrade the fuel pressure spring and put 6.4 banjo bolts in the lines at the heads.
A fass or airdog would be a good upgrade too
As far as the tranny goes... Running higher power levels I would probably get an after market torque converter for it.
Make sure and change oil and filters. Coolant and tranny fluid change is a good thought also.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You sure that's an oil filter on top? Its probably a coolant bypass filter. Look and see where the lines go.

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
iirc the 6.0s have the oil filter up top already?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a line going to the oil fill cap and its a amsoil filter.....wheres the best place to get the parts u listed and whats it gonna cost me lol im going to do things when I get my taxes in

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Oh. So its an oil bypass filter. Its a little extra filtration for the oil. Definitely not a bad thing!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I kno nothing about these trucks and its my first deisel

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Banjo bolts are usually like $20 or so. Make sure you get new washers too. Studs are around $435 or so through Irate. Haven't personally checked anywhere else. I think air dogs are like $600.

Being new to a heui injected engine, my best advise is change the oil often and use 5w40 oil.

·
Registered
752 Posts
U need gaskets when u do studs too. I'm guessing u don't have a lift to pull the cab off so ull need to find a shop to do ur studs. 550 studs gaskets plus labor.
Get an ats tourque converter-1200 give or take
Regulator rebuild kit with upgraded blue spring 80
6.4 banjo bolts and washers 20-30
I think the good air dog 2 kits r around 700
Comparable fass is probably a little higher
A coolant filter kit would be good. 125

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does a airdog 2 do? Studs sound like a b***h im gonna guess I sould put the bigger injectors at the same time? What do u recommend for injectors? Will stock turbo handle all this till I get the money for a garrett? I appreciate the help and info guys

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all so does anyone know where I can get a service manual that tells u how to fix everythimg on the truck with torque specs....like a haynes manual but 5 times better

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
6.0 bible is pretty good. There's a link in a sticky thread up top.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What mode on the banks iq can I run and still be safe?

·
Registered
205 Posts
You should switch it out for custom tunes but you should be fine on any of the levels, banks is not the best programmer for the truck especially the transmission

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is a fair price for head stud instal? and putting in new injectors?I watched a vid of it I dont have time for all that.......what injectors should I get?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i"m paying $6500 INCLUDING PARTS for studs, oil cooler, 2 new injectors, coolant filter, and blue spring upgrade. the injectors should be pulled anyway when installing head studs, to get the heads checked at a machine shop, so you shouldn't really have to pay anything extra for them, just buy the bigger ones and swap them out. and DO NOT USE THE BLACK ONYX head gaskets. i got all my stuff with the factory ford gaskets from sinister @ mkmcustoms.com

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damnnnnn I just need them to install my injectors and head studs.do you think it will cost more than $3000? I hope not I still want the other parts they said cause I can install air dog 2 myself and torque converter and turbo and what not.....im sure I could do the job ive changed injectors and pulled the heads off hummves but we pull the whole motor and its a job and I just dont have time for it lol......also I am what u could call diesel perfomance parts retarted the army dont mod there trucks lol so that y I ask a million questions....oh and what are 6.4 banjo bolts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also u know what really makes me scratch my head is what if my truck already had the headstuds done then id have wasted all that money...now I wonder this because y would someone spend almost 4k on the banks kit, oil filter bypass kit, bullet proof diesel egr(not delete I wish it was), bpd oil cooler, 6 inch fabtech lift, 18inch xd series rims, 37inch tires, dvd player, sound system.....but not studs? And the guy I bought it from didnt do anything to it but put a train horn on it and all he knew whats done to it is what u can see........ This is why I wish I was rich and bought new and could dump 15k in a truck

·
Registered
54 Posts
make sure u stud ur engine b4 u do anything!!! i just put a tuner and egr delete on my 6.0 and blew head gaskets..( ended up ruining the block :( and air dog 2 is a glorified fuel pump, pumps more gph than a stock one,,, however becarful when shopping for one, i bought one and apparently it was the wrong model and it served as a charge pump for my stock fuel pump... kinda got screwed it ruined 2 of my injectors just running it straight... i would personally look more into the fass fuel systems instead of airdog, though thats jus because ive had bad luck, u dont need to get injectors the same time as pump. take ur time and do lots of research and def get head studs asap

·
Registered
54 Posts
u should b able to take ur valve cover off and see if its studded or jus regualr head bolts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts