Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 96 2wd 3/4 ton. It had been sitting for a year or so. Truck starts right up but is loping at idle and running rough at all rpm's. Not sure what I should start with. No check engine light and oil level is fine. I qm going to replace fuel filter and fill with fresh diesel. Any other post sit up rituals? Thank you in advanced for info.

·
Registered
618 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
2nd on the fuel filter. If it is black, you may have algae growth in the tanks from sitting so long. If that is the case, use something like Diesel Kleen which I think is 1oz per 3 gallons and triple that. run both tanks and check the fuel filter again. B20 (bio-diesel) will also help clean up the fuel system.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Also another thing. Is it a 5 speed or an auto? if its an auto let it warm up and check the fluid level. See how it looks/smells. Be easy on it until its good and up to operating temp like lindstrom said. Then put it through its paces

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I replaced fuel filter and filled up with fresh fuel and Diesel Klean. I changed oil and filter. Also had to rebuild oil cooler as it was leaking. Got it all backk together today. I went drove it after it was warmed up and it just doesnt have any balls at all. Sitting still with brake pushed and throttle to the floor it wont get over 1500 rpms. Driving down the riad it just takes forever to get up to speed. I drove it around for 30 minutes and no change. Im leaning toward injectors but just want some input on what to do next. By the way it is an automatic. Thanks in advanced.

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
6637 intake or tymare. 3" dp 4" or 5" straight pipe. Ts6 chip. Wake it up big time.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hopefully you didnt give a ton for it and should immediately invest into AE or another datalogger. The torque app would help also.

You need to start with the troubleshooting basics. These things require good fuel volume/pressure, good electrical to all injectors, good hp oil rail pressure, good compression, good charge air (boost) pressure. Even if its got a weak injector or 2, it will still get out of its own way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems to be running ok now. Im going to just run it I believe the injectors are a little dirty because it was blowing a little white smoke after I repaired the wire and reconnected the hose. Will definately be getting turbo back 4" exhaust and an intake. Will get a chip later on. Would like to get more getum up out of it. But Im also used to my 6.4 with H&s mini maxx, straight 5" and S& B intake. Lol. This truck will be put in my fleet for one of my techs so as long as its dependable im good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts