Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, let's begin with saying that I'm dumb. Not usually, but when it comes to vehicles, for sure. I mean, I can change oil and filters and whatnot and kept the maintenance up on my F150 5.0L no problem. So, had the F150 and wife wants a bigger camper, so I start looking at F250 and I see pretty quickly that you get more towing capability with a diesel, well at least compared to some of the gas engines and what not. My selection really came down to pricing, I wanted to be under 20k, so that meant the truck was going to be older. I find this 2008 King Ranch with the 6.4L. Take it for a spin, love it. Interior is pretty nice, engine seems ok and looks clean. The exterior and underneath is nice - it was a Florida truck for all of its life until somehow it ended up in the midwest in the last 6 months or so. It's got a nice tri-fold tonneau cover and pretty flashy 20" rims and tires. So, I buy the thing. It has 137k miles on it.

Then, like a good boy, I start doing some research on how to maintain this thing propertly, etc. I stumble upon sites like this and youtube channels and I'm like "woah" what did I just get myself into. So, start reading and watching and reading and watching. I decide, I like the truck, I'm going to take good care of it, I don't want to hot rod the thing, just need a tow vehicle 6-8 times a year. I don't even drive that much, I work from home and once a week I do a 100 mile round trip. I should be able to keep this thing parked most of the time. Anyway, I get to all the DPF/EGR delete stuff and I'm thinking, well it'd be nice to get better fuel mileage while towing if possible. Now I wanna delete and tune this thing. Then I see that most people are lucky to get 13 MPG stock and get better when tuned. I'm showing as high as 16 MPG. So I look under the truck and hmm... DPF is gone. Something is plugged into the ODB2 connection. Did they leave the tuner in hidden somewhere. Pop the cover just under the steering wheel and.... nope, just some type of lojack bullshit GPS thing.

Am I SOL on figuring out what tune is on this thing? Can I just plug any compatible tuner in and install a new tune? Should I leave well enough alone? I mean, that seems to be an option. The better fuel economy seems to already be happening and it only will puff out black smoke when I'm overly aggressive on the accelerator, but if I drive like a non-douche (the vast majority of how I drive anyhow) it doesn't puff out like that. Appreciate any input. Oh, and as I've covered, I am dumb, you're free to point that out to me, but I do already know that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not a 6.4 guy so I can't answer all your questions. I'm pretty sure that dpf deleted you have to be tuned to run. Doesn't mean it has to be a hot tune. Do your research, maintain it as good as you can, & hope for the best lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts