Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 F250
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2010 F250 6.4l at auction and unfortunately "runs and drives" means different things to different people <sigh>. This truck only had 150k miles however when I got it home it only runs on 7 cylinders (popping out the intake), won't steer (looks like the steering box is grenaded) and is missing the DPF...
So I am reading all I can find on this forum to find out how to recover from this. Looks like at the very least I'll be replacing some rockers and a steering box as well as shopping for a tuner to overcome the missing DPF. Yeaaa!
looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I just bought a 2010 F250 6.4l at auction and unfortunately "runs and drives" means different things to different people <sigh>. This truck only had 150k miles however when I got it home it only runs on 7 cylinders (popping out the intake), won't steer (looks like the steering box is grenaded) and is missing the DPF...
So I am reading all I can find on this forum to find out how to recover from this. Looks like at the very least I'll be replacing some rockers and a steering box as well as shopping for a tuner to overcome the missing DPF. Yeaaa!
looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks
Welcome to PSN!

First, Download FORScan Ford Code Reader and buy an ODBII like this one from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/VINT-TT55502-modified-Windows-ELMconfig-compatible/dp/B01N18TOFB

Don't start throwing parts until you do.

How much time do you want to put in? Why are you replacing some rockers?

I put in a BlueTop steering gear box and love it: Ford

Of course, immediately change everything - air filter, oil & filter, transmission fluid, differentials, fuel filter ....

·
Registered
2010 F250
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jax, thanks! It happens I already have Forscan for my F150... Not sure why I didn't think of it <duh> thanks for reminding me!
I will be putting in enough time to make it a good ranch truck. My old 93 Chevy 3500 dually is on its second engine and is on its last legs but is still running so I can take my time making this one right.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I found my results with rebuilding an 99 F350 so rewarding I actually bought another - 00 F350

I am having a blast! These guys on PSN are absolutely remarkable in their support!

Reactions: Nex

·
Registered
2010 F250
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats cool!
I pulled codes today and am getting misfire indicators on #8 as well as balance errors on 3,7, and 8. Also seeing EGT and DPF errors which is to be expected since the DPF was stolen.
Computer Personal computer Font Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Clear all the codes, then run it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
personally and this is just me but you know nothing of this truck except your getting a lot of codes. run a buzz test see if the injectors are good or not. then do a air pressure test to see if you have any leaks for giggles in that department. From there since your injectors are giving contribution issues and more specifically number 8 has left the chat from my understanding then I would look at you getting new injectors. your rockers should be fine but check when you pull them. I have seen these trucks come in with similar issues and come to find out it was simple as putting in new injectors. the fact your dpf is gone yes you will need a tune to fix that or a dpf (tune will be cheaper unless you live in california or a smog test state). These are always fun to get because you can just rebuild them. from the sounds of it your block is good which means at most it will usually be top end of the truck. just be happy it isnt a oil pressure issue with the stc or the hpop or lpop.

·
Registered
2010 F250
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
personally and this is just me but you know nothing of this truck except your getting a lot of codes. run a buzz test see if the injectors are good or not. then do a air pressure test to see if you have any leaks for giggles in that department. From there since your injectors are giving contribution issues and more specifically number 8 has left the chat from my understanding then I would look at you getting new injectors. your rockers should be fine but check when you pull them. I have seen these trucks come in with similar issues and come to find out it was simple as putting in new injectors. the fact your dpf is gone yes you will need a tune to fix that or a dpf (tune will be cheaper unless you live in california or a smog test state). These are always fun to get because you can just rebuild them. from the sounds of it your block is good which means at most it will usually be top end of the truck. just be happy it isnt a oil pressure issue with the stc or the hpop or lpop.
Thank you for the words of encouragement!
Not sure what "run a buzz test" means so I'll search it here. My diesel experience is all old school with tractors and a 6.5l Chevy with a mechanical Standyne IP... none of that 'lectronic stuff <grin>. I did work in the tech industry before retiring so it's just a matter of catching up. Fortunately I live in rural Oregon so don't have to worry about the smog stuff.

·
Registered
2010 F250
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The truck does have a pronounced pop back up the intake which leads me to believe there is at least one part of the valve train not working right. It wants to blow the cover off the air cleaner and it appears to be in time with the miss although that may be wishful thinking.
I'm heading to the wrecking yard tomorrow to pick up a used steering box. I may have to replace it again in the future but for $70 I will be able to steer the truck down to my shop instead of trying to Wrangler it around with my front end loader.

·
Registered
2010 F250
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I ran a buzz test a couple times today and it says the injectors all passed. I also ran all the other tests I could run with key on and engine off (not sure what I was looking for but they were all OK). I also cleared all the codes and started the truck again and it still says #3 and 8 have contribution errors.
I should be getting the steering box on Thursday and am clearing out space in the shop (its a total disaster after this hay season) so I can pull the pickup in and get the valve covers off.
I did get the new DPF delete pipe today. Now I just need to find a good tuner...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts