Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i wanted a diesel and being in california, i decided i wanted an OBS so it looks good and i dont have to smog it.

Found a 1997 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed (only way they come?) With 168k miles.

Im completely new to diesels but not F series however never owned this big of one. I think truck has a leveling kit as it clears 285s with no room to spare but no idea how to tell how much of a lift if its there. Also not really sure where to start for making this thing sound for me to enjoy for years ..

I noticed that when i search parts for this truck like shocks, it will say no items but i can search 96 f350 and parts show up. Arent they same truck??

I ordered some cryo power slot rotors and some hawk pads as thats what i ran in my 91 f250...recommendation on rear brake shoes?? Need new headlights, shocks and what other serviceable items??

Ill get better pics up when i go wash it..

Thanks for the great site, overwhelmed with info.

Attachments

·
Native Californian
348 Posts
Nice find! You might try FTE forums as well. They are a little more active and have great info on the OBS 7.3 trucks. What are your plans with it? What part of California? I am from Oceanside.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Most basic stuff you can specify a 96 F350 Powerstroke. One note for you: You probably have a California model 1997. If you do, you will have some different things than the 49-state trucks:

Splitshot injectors (which flow a bit more fuel than the 49-state trucks' single shots)

Shunt on the Glowplug Relay and associated Glowplug monitoring circuits

Fuel Pressure Pulse Damper on top of the mechanical fuel pump in the valley. The banjo fitting/fuel line assembly is different to accommodate the damper.

A DPC-312 PCM (for an automatic) or a DPC-311 PCM (for a 5-speed). These PCMs are difficult to find so be aware of that. The 49-state truck would use a more common DPC-202 (auto) or DPC-203 (manual). The DPC-312/311 are wired completely differently due to the addition of the glowplug monitoring circuits, so you can't use a DPC-202/203 without doing some harness modifications and programming it with some late 1996 splitshot programming. Of course, the programming for the splitshots is different than for single shots.

Nice find and good luck with it. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info... Going to have to check VIN and see if it started here. I haven't been on line in two weeks so missed all the good info. I'm in northern California by SF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts